2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » my new lam grinder jig (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: my new lam grinder jig
Walt Francis
Contributor 2017
Member # 1901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walt Francis   Email Walt Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete,

A couple of questions:

How is the sander holding up? The reason for the question is I have the same sander and set up a lam grinding jig similar to yours last spring. After about fifty lams the bearings on it developed a wobble and I wasn't able to get smooth lams anymore. I replaced the bearing but it still wobbles too much to use for lams.

The biggest problem I found (when the sander was working properly) was getting a constant feed when pushing the lams through the jig. Any deviation in the push speed and the lams got low or high spots. Have you had that problem?

I had some coated MDF (the type used for shelving and cabinets) left over from another project and used it for my jig; It worked good and provided a square, slick surface. It is set up with adjustable wing nuts and a dial micrometer that allowed really fine adjustments without any guessing. If I get a chance, I will take a picture this weekend and post it.

--------------------
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 5457 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pennsyltuckey pete
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pennsyltuckey pete   Email Pennsyltuckey pete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Walt,

I have only made 8 sets of lams so far. Like you said the speed at which the lam is fed is critical for controlling the depth of the cuts. Another thing that I have found is how much wood you removing in one pass. I only remove a little bit of wood each pass and I feed the lam through the grinder 3-4 times each setting keeping a light touch. This makes it easier to have that desired consistent feed speed...

Thanks for the heads up on the bearing issues. I will keep that in mind!!! Has anyone else experienced this? I am surprised that after re bearing you did not get the same accuracy back. What type of bearing did you replace it with? Do you remember?

pete

--------------------
Love one woman, Many Bows

Posts: 298 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walt Francis
Contributor 2017
Member # 1901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walt Francis   Email Walt Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete, I replaced the bearings with new ones from Rigid.

--------------------
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 5457 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pennsyltuckey pete
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pennsyltuckey pete   Email Pennsyltuckey pete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Walt,

I am really glad you pointed out the bearing problem. Do you have any idea why the wobble remains? Was the bearing a tough install? I am really going to look this rig over and see what I come up with. No reason to re invent a wheel that doesn't work!I do look forward to seeing yours.

pete

--------------------
Love one woman, Many Bows

Posts: 298 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metsastaja
Contributor 2010
Member # 17612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for metsastaja   Email metsastaja   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete. thanks for sending the pictures of the bow I'm excited.

--------------------
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Posts: 1162 | From: Florida n Maine | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)