2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Selfbow Caul

Author Topic: Selfbow Caul
bigcountry
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigcountry   Email bigcountry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I am going to make me a Caul to put in reflex into staves. And fix side to side bends on occasion.

Would 3" of reflex be too much? Figured after you got a bow heated up and clamped to it, it might only hold 1.5-2" depending on how much deflex it had before and how much heat, etc?

Posts: 1328 | From: Westminster, MD | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Yoon
Member # 20794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan Yoon   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Yoon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been asking myself the exact same question.
Posts: 55 | From: Swartz Creek, MI | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DCM
Charter Member
Member # 107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DCM   Email DCM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine puts about 2" over 64" or so, more if the stave is longer. It has worked well for me, having done perhaps a hundred projects over the years. You can always add reflex by putting spacers between the stave and caul. Less reflex is more tricky. I like for the bend to be fairly progressive, that is modest near the handle and more pronounced the farther out the limb. A good caul is time and money well spent imho. I'd be lost without mine. Most staves won't retain as much reflex as you caul might put, rather they tend to spring back a little. So I'd say 3" isn't excessive at all.
Posts: 1316 | From: Memphis, Tn | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Scifres
Associate Sponsor
Member # 946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Scifres   Author's Homepage   Email John Scifres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Credit goes to Will Steffen for giving me this design/technique. I believe it was Gary Davis that taught him in the first place but don't quote me on that.

To make a decent caul for about every situation, get a 2x6x72" board. Dimensional framing pine is OK. Hardwood is better.

Square the ends. Divide the ends into 6 equal segments. Number them from top to bottom, 0 for the bottom, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Mark the top of the board every 6". Number them from left to right, 0 for the left edge, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Draw a line from the 1 on the end, to the 1 on the top. From the 2 to the 2 and so on.

You will end up with something like the middle piece here. Smooth out the line at the bottom and then cut it out. Repeat for the other side.

-

This makes a nice progressively steeper reflex that will ends up with flat to slightly deflexed mid limbs and slightly flipped tips after your done tillering. If you make a lot of bows that are shoreter than 66", you can make it shorter or do like I did and make a length adjustable caul. Use your imagination. That's what's so fun about this thing.

--------------------
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 6974 | From: Indiana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaun
SPONSOR
Member # 2320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaun   Email Shaun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary Davis has an article about his caul layout in the next issue of TradArchers World mag (sponsor) that will be out in Feb.

--------------------
www.taurusbows.com

Posts: 5099 | From: Iowa City,IA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walt Francis
Contributor 2017
Member # 1901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walt Francis   Email Walt Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used the same layout for my culls as John since 97 with great results. I made my first couple with solid wood and they warped after a dozen or so bows, now I use LVL without any problems. Also, I my cull to be adjustable from 48" to 72" so I don't need several different culls taking up room in my shop/garage. Here I a picture of my cull with the inserts setting on top (the inserts drop in to place when the form is lengthened).

-

--------------------
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 5500 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigcountry
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigcountry   Email bigcountry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy cow Walt, thats the cadillac of cauls
Posts: 1328 | From: Westminster, MD | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigcountry
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8931

John, I guess one could also use 2X4 for something less aggressive?
skeaterbait
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeaterbait   Email skeaterbait   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is basically the same thing as John but has a smoother arc through the entire limb but still progressive.

I used a 2x6 to make it.

-

--------------------
Sometimes I porpoise, sometimes I fishtail. Maybe I should get back in the boat.

Posts: 301 | From: Lawson, MO | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RB
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RB   Email RB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, over 6", down 1/2" (or over 3" and down 1/4"). 3" of reflex won't last very long....

Note: If you making stiff handle bows, allow for length of handle + fades (say 7-8") by keeping the top center of the 2x6 dead flat...then start your increments downward on the ends.

Posts: 203 | From: KY | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigcountry
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8931

Thanks Skeeter, that looks a lot less agressive to me.
dutchwarbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dutchwarbow   Email dutchwarbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer scifres caul,

nice low-string angle profile [Big Grin]

Nick

--------------------
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Posts: 326 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skeaterbait
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeaterbait   Email skeaterbait   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dutchwarbow:
I prefer scifres caul,

nice low-string angle profile [Big Grin]

Nick

That's why we have different colored cars. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Sometimes I porpoise, sometimes I fishtail. Maybe I should get back in the boat.

Posts: 301 | From: Lawson, MO | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)