2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Oliver Stacy's Cumberland build-a-long! FINISHED (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Oliver Stacy's Cumberland build-a-long! FINISHED
Apex Predator
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apex Predator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've drawn lines on my bench to use as guides to make sure I glue them together parallel.

-

I use a quality CA gel and an accelerator to join them.

-

-

I want the joints as tight as possible for asthetics. You could have a gap here, and it would work fine because they are normally right behind the thick part of your riser. I like tight lines myself!

-

Next is sanding the edges of the lams to knock off the splinters. These can get trapped between lams, or under the glass and will look horrible if not taken care of.

-

--------------------
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Posts: 3601 | From: Brunswick, Ga | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bentpole
Contributor 2014
Member # 6180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentpole   Email bentpole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[clapper] [thumbsup]
Posts: 7480 | From: pequannock n.j. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Holden
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J. Holden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unbelievable, well, not really I guess. I just looked at it. I'm just having a hard time comprehending the workmanship. There's a lot of talent right there. Nice job and thanks for sharing with us.

-Jeremy

--------------------
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Posts: 1524 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Oak
Contributor 2011
Member # 6902

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Oak   Email White Oak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantastic work Marty. Waiting for the next lesson.
Posts: 437 | From: Fremont, Nebraska | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DEATHMASTER
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEATHMASTER   Email DEATHMASTER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work as always. Be looking forward to more.

Tim

Posts: 2033 | From: WISCONSIN | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oliverstacy
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 13039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oliverstacy   Email Oliverstacy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simply amazing! Can't wait for the bow to come out of the oven!

Keep it coming!!!

Josh

--------------------
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Posts: 2201 | From: Livonia, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apex Predator
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apex Predator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found myself without the glass I need!!!! Kenny shipped it Sat, so I should have it Tue. Stay tuned!

--------------------

Posts: 3601 | From: Brunswick, Ga | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apex Predator
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6002

I appreciate all the kind words!

My glass came yesterday, so this morning I am prepping everything for glue-up. The belly lams have to be trimmed down some in length. I tape the back side of the glass to keep off the smooth-on.

-

Then it's time for a dry run. I clean all the lams with acetone, and stack them on the form in proper order. For this bow it will be glass, cherry, boo, boo, riser, cherry, and glass. This cherry is awesome, and quickly becoming my favorite!

-

-

I put the pressure strips on top, and with hand pressure determine if the riser fades are going to fade like they are supposed to. I don't want any gaps here at all.

-

-

You can see a shadow where the lams over-hang the riser in the last photo.

I have to pick up an extra bicycle inner tube and another seam roller today, and should then be all set for the lay-up.

--------------------

Teagus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teagus   Author's Homepage   Email Teagus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marty,
Are the back cherry and boo tapers?

Mike

Posts: 100 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apex Predator
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6002

Teagus, all four lams are .001 tapers.

--------------------

Oliverstacy
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 13039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oliverstacy   Email Oliverstacy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking good! Is something cooking?

Wow are the Cherry limbs going to look nice!

Josh

--------------------
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Posts: 2201 | From: Livonia, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apex Predator
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6002

Time for lay-up!

Here is my method for glue-up, which I don't think I've shared much of. It's really hard to take photos cause you are covered with epoxy! Don't really want to ruin my camera. Here you see the smooth-on all mixed up, a 1" wallpaper seam roller, and a wooden stick. I dab the epoxy down the lam and then roll it out with the roller. Works well for me.

-

-

-

After the roller, I eye-ball the whole lam looking for this, a dry spot! Can't have those.

-

After all the bottom lams are buttered and stacked, I butter the riser bottom and clamp it on top of the stack. I make sure the center is indexed to my form.

-

Check out this cherry with smooth-on applied. This is close to what it will look like under the glass.

-

--------------------

Apex Predator
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6002

Now I fold the plastic wrap over the bow from each side and secure the whole works with a couple of wraps of electrical tape. I'm careful here not to trap any plastic wrap between the lams.

-

-

Next I place the pressure strips on top and start wrapping bicycle innertube clamps. I use lots of rubber here folks! About 7 strips per side. A typical bike tube will yeild 2-3 strips depending on the diameter of the tube. I pay special attention to the fadeouts here.

-

Then I set up my oven. It's a simple affair, but works great! During the colder months I will use four 100W bulbs. When it's warmer, like now, I use four 75W bulbs. My timer is a $6 job from Lowes. I want 140-160 degrees here for around five hours to set the smooth-on epoxy. My cover is made of pvc and plastic/foil water heater insulation.

-

-

-

Medium-rare beef is what we are shooting for! [Smile] It takes about an hour to get up to full temperature.

-

--------------------

Oliverstacy
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 13039

That cook'n smells good to me!

Awesome!!!

Josh

--------------------
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That cherry looks real good Marty!! As does your work! [Not Worthy]

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 11634 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)