2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Oliver Stacy's Cumberland build-a-long! FINISHED (Page 4)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Oliver Stacy's Cumberland build-a-long! FINISHED
Apex Predator
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apex Predator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This morning I took her out of the form. Here is the blank with all the excess epoxy on the sides. I've always been one to use too much, but I sleep good after putting one in the oven. It only takes an hour, or even less to clean it up. First the bandsaw, then the belt sander.

-

-

-

My favorite part of bow building is cleaning up the blank and peeling the tape! This one looks really good. Perfect glue lines and zero air bubbles under the glass.

I'm really liking the wood combos Josh chose!

-

-

-

-

--------------------
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Posts: 3601 | From: Brunswick, Ga | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD   Email SteveD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Marty. That looks great. Perfect glue joints.
Posts: 892 | From: Staten Island,NY | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
juneauhunt
Member # 17625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for juneauhunt   Email juneauhunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm drooling over that combo! And that riser is some kinda' fine. Go slow now, so I can savor every upcoming moment.
Posts: 47 | From: Covington, Louisiana | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soopernate
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2614

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soopernate   Email soopernate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CHA CHING....that rise is money. I have got to get ahold of some ebony soon.

--------------------
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Posts: 640 | From: Billings, Montana | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oliverstacy
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 13039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oliverstacy   Email Oliverstacy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marty…when you posted the picture of that Cherry limbed bow last fall I was just sucked in!

It is all that I was looking for and much more, glad I went with the Ebony as it should be amazing when sprayed! The lines are flawless and the limbs just came alive under the glass.

Josh

--------------------
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Posts: 2201 | From: Livonia, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaun
SPONSOR
Member # 2320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaun   Email Shaun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is one sweet glue up - the fades are inspirational. You have set the standard high for quality. Thanks for showing us how.

--------------------
www.taurusbows.com

Posts: 5099 | From: Iowa City,IA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apex Predator
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apex Predator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next step is to mark the center of the riser. I use my fancy centering jig here to mark the center of the riser. Then I stretch a line that bi-sects the center, then mark the tip centers.

-

-

-

Then I mark the top of the limbs 3" outside the fades, and make marks on either side of the tip centers for a 5/8" wide tip. I draw a straight lines from mark to mark.

-

Then I take it to the belt sander and take the limbs down to the line. After sanding there will be small fiberglass splinters on the edges, so be careful handling the bow.

-

I then take another little jig I made and make lines parallel to the limb edges on the last 10" of limb. I then taper the last 10" down to these lines at the tips, until my tips just fit in my nock groove line drawing jig. Lot's of jigs huh?

-

-

-

--------------------

Posts: 3601 | From: Brunswick, Ga | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apex Predator
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6002

I draw my lines with the little line jig in place, and then I cut shallow grooves. I progress through the grooves with three tools in order. I start with a tiny jewlers triangle file, then to the tile saw blade, and finally the chainsaw file. The three steps allows me to make any needed corrections each time I move up to the bigger tool.

-

This lady now gets her first stringing! Alignment looks good, the bottom limb is just a little stiffer, and she draws 65@29. Perfect for this stage of the game. I want her to be around 8# over my target draw weight, cause there is limb timing, tiller, and limb narrowing ahead.

-

Here she is with a little too low of brace. Need to find a little shorter string before I continue.

-

Now its time to build my overlays. I use my belt/spindle combo sander for this. The fence I use is square to the sandpaper. I thin pieces of osage and ebony for the overlays.

-

-

-

I will laminate the overlays on tonight.

--------------------

Jason Scott
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Scott   Email Jason Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no doubt that if I were in the market to buy a bow I would buy from you.
Posts: 365 | From: Lumberton, Texas | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teagus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teagus   Author's Homepage   Email Teagus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering about the secondary taper the last 10". At first I thought you were going to trap the last 10". Curious why not a straight taper from the 3" past fade? I'm thinkin it's about tip bend?

Mike

Posts: 100 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apex Predator
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6002

It will, for all practical purposes, be a straight taper before I am done. I like to start wide and work into the final limb profile in case I have any twist issues. Still a good bit of limb width to reduce. I have eight pounds to go!

--------------------

Teagus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teagus   Author's Homepage   Email Teagus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marty,
When you make tip overlays, considering if you want some overlay material remaining in the bottom of the string groove, and considering the loop diameter of a served three-lay 15 strand string, do you have a minimum target thickness of your total overlay? I just finished overlays on recurve tips consisting of .030 wht. glass/.030 blk glass/.060 bubinga. Looks great but wish I had gone thicker.

Mike

Posts: 100 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apex Predator
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6002

I normally shoot for around .200 for the total overlay.

--------------------

Oliverstacy
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 13039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oliverstacy   Email Oliverstacy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marty...looks great!

It will be FF approved correct?

Josh

--------------------
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Posts: 2201 | From: Livonia, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apex Predator
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6002

Yes it will Josh.

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)