2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Trad History/Collecting » Serendipity

Author Topic: Serendipity
robtattoo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robtattoo   Author's Homepage   Email robtattoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ser·en·dip·i·ty (sěr'ən-dĭp'ĭ-tē)
n. pl. ser·en·dip·i·ties

The faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident.

The fact or occurrence of such discoveries.

An instance of making such a discovery.

Many moons ago (well, about 16 years back) I owned a mid-'70s Kodiak Hunter. It was 60" & 58#@28 an unusual draw-weight for a factory bow. I shot it for a while & thoroughly enjoyed it. It was smooth & pretty, however it was an old bow, needed wooden arrows & therefore not cool. All I shot back them was FITA style target & all my shooting was done with 68"+ 34-38# recurves. The Bear was slow & heavy to draw & I couldn't shoot my 300gn ACCs for fear of it going bang.
It sat in my Mum & Dad's spare room for years, unshot & unloved.
A few years later I discovered field archery & 3Ds. Remembering the old Bear, I drove over to the Parent's place to retrieve it. I'd already bought & built a dozen POC arrows that I thought would spine somewhere near, so I strung up the old thing& gave it a shot. I was amazed at the performance & response from the bow! My drawlength between my FITA days & my field Days had stretched from 27 to nearly 30" & the difference those 3" made was amazing! Anyway, a few weeks later (could've been a couple of months, I forget) I bought a newer, modern, fast recurve that would take a FastFlight string. To buy it, I sold the Bear to an old guy in London (who obviously knew a LOT more about this stuff than me.)

Never gave it another thought......until a few weeks back when I bought a 58" Super Grizzy to refinish.
Got it done, shot it, sold it.
Enjoyed shooting it.
Reeeally enjoyed shooting it.

So, off to thE Bay for a looksee & Try to get another old Bear to play with, refinish & sell.....

Lo & behold, one of the first things I see is a 60" Kodiak Hunter. So I open the page to give it a coat of looking at & find this;

"Great bow but I'm a strict target shooter. This beautiful bow is made for a hunter. At 58 lbs., it's fast, quiet, and very powerful. Almost perfect....but there is some checking on limbs. The checking does not affect it's performance. Tips are perfect and no twist on limbs. New Flemish string has a little over 100 firings. The only hole is for the stabilizer. This bow has not seen much use. No reserve...................Good luck!"

So I bid. Once. [Big Grin]

It arrived today, in perfect condition. I absolutley had to string it up & shoot it!
It would appear that the old guy in London I sold my 60" 58# Kodiak Hunter to re-sold the bow to a guy in the US, via thE Bay.

Imagine, a guy in the UK, buying a US imported bow, selling the bow in the UK, moving to the US & ending up buying back THE EXACT SAME BOW!!! from a guy in the US. Chance in a million? 10 million?

Serendipity..... [Big Grin]

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Posts: 5107 | From: Tullahoma, TN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shick
Contributor 2017
Member # 1088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shick   Email shick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rob, I loved it. Been there and done that with a few bows. Hold onto it and enjoy.

Shick

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Posts: 1660 | From: Pa | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warberg
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17616

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Warberg   Author's Homepage   Email Warberg       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto,, Thanks for sharing, Super Cool, Great Bow.
Posts: 534 | From: Orting Washington | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4runr
Contributor 2016
Member # 8051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4runr   Email 4runr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is way too cool Rob!

I don't believe in "chance", it was meant to be!

Beautiful bow!

--------------------
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 8014 | From: Hartville, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcar315
Contributor 2017
Member # 19642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcar315   Email jcar315   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Super cool story! Great looking bow.

Watch out cause those old Bear bows can get in your blood!!!

--------------------
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant. Made the switch to LH shooting and it was THE best thing I ever did.....YMMV

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 5258 | From: Boonsboro Maryland | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horney Toad
Contributor 2014
Member # 9539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horney Toad   Email Horney Toad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats! great story.
Posts: 1578 | From: MD | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danny Rowan
Contributor 2017
Member # 1321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danny Rowan   Email Danny Rowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better go buy some lottery tickets bro.LOL. Congrats on finding an old friend.

Danny

--------------------
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993

Posts: 7814 | From: Guam | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Killdeer
Contributor 2016
Member # 437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Killdeer   Author's Homepage   Email Killdeer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kismet.

Killdeer [thumbsup]

--------------------
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Posts: 15436 | From: Fibber McGee's Closet, VA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clinglish
Contributor 2014
Member # 8181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clinglish   Email Clinglish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats awesome Rob , you make a lovely couple.

--------------------
I love Bowhunting!!!!
Hunting for Bows that is [Wink]

Posts: 577 | From: South West ,Western Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whip
Contributor 2015
Member # 113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whip   Email Whip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that is cool Rob!!! Enjoy!

--------------------
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Posts: 10391 | From: Lake Mills, WI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom
2017 Contributor
Member # 2405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom   Email Tom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how long will it remain in your hands this time? Good deal-meant to be.

--------------------
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Posts: 2982 | From: Grottoes,Virginia, Shenandoah Valley | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaun
SPONSOR
Member # 2320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaun   Email Shaun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say the chances are actually 100%. Good score Rob!

--------------------
www.taurusbows.com

Posts: 5096 | From: Iowa City,IA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)