2017 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » St Judes Auction 2012 » St Jude 2012 Bid Forum 2 » Hunger Games - Katniss Bow - 2 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hunger Games - Katniss Bow - 2
John Scifres
Associate Sponsor
Member # 946

Icon 4 posted      Profile for John Scifres   Author's Homepage   Email John Scifres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was fortunate enough to get to make the wooden bows used in the recently released Hunger Games movie. Specifically, I made the wooden bow (acually 4 copies of the same bow) used by the main character, Katniss, in the beginning of the movie.

I will make for you or someone you love a replica of the bows I made. It can be up to 26" draw and 40#. We can work on the specifics after you win. I pay shipping up to $25.

Here are the bows I made with the artist's model in the center.

-

The two on the left are functioning bows. The two on the right are permanently bent in the drawn position to allow for long holds during filming.

Here are the two functioning bows with the model in the center.

-

And here is the bow drawn by me.

-

And the bow (I think this is one of the permenently bent ones) drawn by the star, Jennifer Lawrence, who plays Katniss. I'm not sure what the heck the form is she is using but she is cute [Smile]

I don't know why they took the horse hair off. If they only knew how much trouble I had to go through to get that.

-

Thanks.

(DISCLAIMER: Clearly I own no rights to the movie, the story, or anything related to them. Lionsgate Films owns the movie and Suzanne Collins and Scholastic owns the books. I hope they don't mind me doing this for a good cause.)

[ April 03, 2012, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: John Scifres ]

--------------------
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 6974 | From: Indiana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coaster500
Contributor 2015
Member # 19836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coaster500   Email coaster500   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's just to Cool John [Smile]

--------------------
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Posts: 4773 | From: San Luis Obispo, California | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
primitivealltheway
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for primitivealltheway   Email primitivealltheway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cool as all get out!!!
now how did a man from indiana,make bows for hollywood???? i would like to hear how it all began.

--------------------
"nothing like being in the woods with a stick and string"

Posts: 523 | From: bham alabama | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul/KS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul/KS   Email Paul/KS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best get this started...

Posts: 1567 | From: N.E. Kansas | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maineac
Contributor 2016
Member # 15727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maineac   Author's Homepage   Email maineac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$80 This would help my archery club numbers

--------------------
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
Robert Holthouser

Posts: 4216 | From: Waldoboro, Maine | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doug77
Contributor 2014
Member # 11884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doug77   Email doug77   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$100.00 for my daughter
Posts: 2675 | From: SE iowa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstick   Email Blackstick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$150 for my granddaughter.
Posts: 481 | From: NE Indiana | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunny hill archer
Contributor 2015
Member # 10648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunny hill archer   Email sunny hill archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Posts: 1030 | From: Beaufort SC | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jsthnt
Member # 10991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jsthnt   Email Jsthnt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 48 | From: Laurens, Iowa | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Scifres
Associate Sponsor
Member # 946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Scifres   Author's Homepage   Email John Scifres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somebody asked some questions that I thought all might appreciate the answers to.

"Is the bow a useable /shoot able item?"

Yes, it is a functioning bow.

"Does it have a shelf or meant to be shot off the hand?"

I will make a shelf if you want or it can be shot off the hand. I generally put a floppy leather arrow rest on kids bows.

"What it the bow (wood) made of?"

I will use osage for the bow.

Just to be clear, this will be made to your specifications. I can do about anything you want up to 40# at 26". It can be made exactly like the ones I made or more like the one in th emovie which was tweaked according to their needs. We'll work out the details after the auction. It will take a few weeks depending on the timing and other details to complete.

If you are in a hurry, we can work that out too. I'm on vacation for the middle part of June. If I get it done quickly and you live somewhere between Indianapolis and Nemo, SD or Nemo, SD and Glacier National Park, I'll even drop it off in person [Smile]

--------------------
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 6974 | From: Indiana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunny hill archer
Contributor 2015
Member # 10648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunny hill archer   Email sunny hill archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Posts: 1030 | From: Beaufort SC | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Scifres
Associate Sponsor
Member # 946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Scifres   Author's Homepage   Email John Scifres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this gets to $300 I'll include 3 Katniss-esque hunting arrows.

--------------------
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Jsthnt
Member # 10991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jsthnt   Email Jsthnt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's make sure it gets there then...

Posts: 48 | From: Laurens, Iowa | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hawkeye
Contributor 2017
Member # 662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes me smile... GOOD on ya, John!!! [thumbsup] [archer] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Posts: 1776 | From: Central Illinois | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunny hill archer
Contributor 2015
Member # 10648

Good idea Jeff!

--------------------

Billy Ellis

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)