2017 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » St Judes Auction 2012 » St Jude 2012 Bid Forum 4 » St. Jude Arrow - Several Inspirations--4

Author Topic: St. Jude Arrow - Several Inspirations--4
Bud B.
Contributor 2014
Member # 24907

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for autcion is an arrow I crafted especially for the St. Jude's auction.

I started with a Sourwood shoot, inspired by a post stringstretcher made over a year ago asking for sourwood shoots for arrows. That got me interested and caused me to meet Charlie online and buy some of his cut turkey feathers.

I cut the shoot last year while clearing out my tree stand area. Later that season I took my first trad deer from that tree stand on opening day of bow season. I took the shoot home and set it aside for drying. It was about 1/2" thick when I cut it. It dried to about 7/16" or maybe 3/8" before I got the hand plane out a few days ago to start the work.

After getting the shaft close to 11/32 with the plane and sandpaper I used a red oak block of wood with a 23/64 and a 11/32 hole drilled in it and used a drill to spin the shaft though the holes. That was testy. Doing that burnished the finish on the wood. I then used Provincial Minwax stain, which took lightly due to the burnishing.

Dipped 2x in wipe on Minwax polyurethane gloss.

I'm not comfortable with self nocks yet so I used an old speed nock I got from a fellow tradganger in a trade.

The arrow finished out at 733 grains of Sourwood with a three blade BH (VPA, I think...someone help me on that.)

The BH came from the Chris Surtees Mojo Arrow I bought last year on the St. Jude's Auction. I was fortunate to win the St. Jude's Hog Heaven hunt last year and I met Larry Surtees. What a great gentleman. I included the broadhead to keep the Chris Surtees mojo going.

I wish I had a spine tester. It's stout. I'm guessing the 60-70lb range. I'm not a good guesser. I have NOT shot it. 30.75" BOP

The nock end is slightly less than 11/32. The point end is maybe a tad over 11/32. It has a full length taper made by mother nature.

Thanks for looking.

Please bid it up for the kids.

It will be carefully packed and shipped insured. US, and Canada if I can.

-

-

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ May 18, 2012, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: FerretWYO ]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 6977 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stringstretcher
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stringstretcher   Author's Homepage   Email stringstretcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$20,00 for the kids

--------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Posts: 2728 | From: virginia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danny Rowan
Contributor 2017
Member # 1321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danny Rowan   Email Danny Rowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$50

--------------------
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993

Posts: 7814 | From: Guam | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stringstretcher
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stringstretcher   Author's Homepage   Email stringstretcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I had it for a while Bub B. Great offer Danny

--------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Posts: 2728 | From: virginia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
Contributor 2014
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can make you one Charlie if this one slips by you. [Smile]

biddy up [thumbsup]

--------------------

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 6977 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
benny
Contributor 2016
Member # 8653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for benny   Email benny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$60.00
Posts: 438 | From: trinity,nc | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T-D
Contributor 2014
Member # 34508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T-D   Email T-D   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go Benny!

--------------------
Resident Hog Slayer🐗
Hummingbird Bows + Simmons Sharks = Death from above

But with God all things are possible
(Mathew 19:26)

Posts: 405 | From: Stokesdale, NC | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
Contributor 2014
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry benny.

Gonna push it ttt once more for the kids.

http://www.stjude.org/

Hope adding the link is OK. Come back to TG and give through this group after visiting.

I didn't realize St. Jude was celebrating their 50th anniversary.

--------------------

Doc Nock
Contributor 2007
Member # 116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc Nock   Author's Homepage   Email Doc Nock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet, Bud!

I admire you guys who take the time, talent and effort to build natural stalk arrows like that!

That is fitting to draw such great bids for the work and time involved!

--------------------
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Posts: 13224 | From: Greene County, TN | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5deer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5deer   Email 5deer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup]

--------------------
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Posts: 801 | From: washington | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
benny
Contributor 2016
Member # 8653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for benny   Email benny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No worries Bud.
It's for the kids.

Posts: 438 | From: trinity,nc | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shedrock
Contributor 2013
Member # 14750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shedrock   Email Shedrock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$65

Great looking arrow!

--------------------
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Posts: 2439 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
Contributor 2014
Member # 24907

Whoever gets this, spine it before you shoot it unless you're like me hand have bows in a wide range of draw weights. Start out light and test from there.

Spine testing is best, though.

Biddy up!!

--------------------

Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shedrock:
$65

Great looking arrow!

--------------------
"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & **** ********** (coming soon)

Posts: 30273 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Campbell
Assoc Sponsor - Charter Member
Member # 269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Campbell   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Payment received from Tracy Villwok, thanks!

--------------------
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith
Doug's Photo Album,

Posts: 8873 | From: SW Montana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)