2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Bow shattered while shooting … (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Bow shattered while shooting …
yononindo
Contributor 2013
Member # 22183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yononindo   Author's Homepage   Email yononindo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you think of this?

Brand new Bow after the twelfth shot!!!!

-
 -

Samick Lightning TD Recurve - Amo 60 - lbs 55 at 28

Drawlength was 28 -

NO Fastflight string was used.

Arrows: Easton 2117 with a 125 grain field tip.

Debt was a cavity in the wood!

Fortunately nobody was injured!

Daniel

--------------------
Daniel

Happy Trails

Posts: 216 | From: Andorra | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bretto
Contributor 2016
Member # 11278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bretto   Email bretto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good deal that no one was hurt. Hope You kept the warranty card.
Posts: 2319 | From: Linwood, Ks | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
turkey522
Contributor 2014
Member # 15993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for turkey522   Email turkey522   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad no one was hurt.Will they replace it,keep us updated.
Posts: 1158 | From: Ky in Arizona | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brill16hockey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brill16hockey   Email brill16hockey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That makes me cringe....
Posts: 249 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Kennedy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12282

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Kennedy   Email John Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be scary,hope you didn't get anything in your eyes from that.
Posts: 274 | From: New Athens,IL | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LBR
SPONSOR
Member # 236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LBR   Author's Homepage   Email LBR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wood has natural defects--I don't know if they could be spotted if you had an x-ray machine (and who x-rays bow wood?).

Hate to see that, but glad nobody was injured and hopefully you will get a new bow or a refund.

A friend of mine had that happen, except it happened the first time he pulled the bow to full draw. I don't know if he has all the splinters out yet, and he wasn't compensated for a bow that cost him near $1,000.

--------------------
Champion Custom Bowstrings
Trad Gang Sponsor since March 2003--Voted In By Members
Proud Supporter of the Catch-a-Dream Foundation
www.catchadream.org

Bowstring Questions? recurves.com/faqs.html

Posts: 6015 | From: MS | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leatherneck
Contributor 2014
Member # 11436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leatherneck   Email leatherneck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1st off, glad your OK. Chad said it right, wood has natural defects. The best bowyers out there can't detect all flaws. Thats why most of the bowyers out there have at least a 1-year warranty. This gives a bow time to "blow up" so to speak if there is a defect in the woods.
I'm sure Samick wi;ll honor there warranty and get you a new one.
I had a new bow (I won't say the bowyer) delaminate once after only a month. The glue came loose. Hey, it happens. When I called him to tell him about it, he didn't even let me finish my sentence when he stated" I'm starting on a new one for you immediately. Just use that one for firewood". Now thats customer service.

--------------------
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Posts: 4439 | From: Bethesda, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George D. Stout
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 69

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George D. Stout   Email George D. Stout       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They will give you a new bow. Glad you are okay.
It can happen to the best made customs or simple home made models.

Posts: 5075 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegg
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pegg   Email Pegg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear you are ok . Hope they get you a new bow. Let us know the out come.

Sean

--------------------
If today was perfect, There would be no need for tomorrow

Posts: 703 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walt Francis
Contributor 2017
Member # 1901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walt Francis   Email Walt Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What do you think of this".

This is what I think:
1. When shooting/making a bow with natural materials the chance of it blowing up is a risk you assume.
2. Every bowyer I know has had a bow fail at some time. S**t happens when you use natural materials.
3. Provided nothing has been done to the bow that would void the warranty (if there is one) The Bowyer should stand behind his product and replace the bow.
4. This matter should be handled in private before being made public. If the bowyer fails to honor his warranty then, if you feel it is warranted, make it public. However, he deserves the chance to make it right.

Like Leatherneck, I have had problems with a new bow and one that was a couple of years old (warranty had expired), both the bowyers took care of the problem immediately. Without the need to castigate the bowyer in public.

--------------------
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 5373 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Running Buck
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Running Buck   Email Running Buck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had tips fail but never a riser, glad to see you are OK. Hopefully you won't have to wait long for your new one.

Denis

Posts: 483 | From: Sussex Cnty, NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yononindo
Contributor 2013
Member # 22183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yononindo   Author's Homepage   Email yononindo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks.

I did not want to start anything here……!!

As stated above, WOOD HAS NATURAL DEFECTS!

I totally agree with that.

I am not blaming the bowyers work here, only wanted to show what can happen.

I have Been Working with wood for many years as a flute maker and bowyer.

Thanks to their customer service, it will be replaced by the company.

Daniel

--------------------
Daniel

Happy Trails

Posts: 216 | From: Andorra | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zbearclaw
Contributor 2012
Member # 20375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zbearclaw   Email Zbearclaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad u are ok, but u never said anything bad about the bowyer, just a good lesson that even the best makers out there have this happen to their bow.

Did u have to change your shorts after that? I would have has a mess if that happened to me.

Post up pics of the new one, and have fun with that one when it gets home.

--------------------
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Posts: 743 | From: California by way of Georgia | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadman   Email shadman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have had a limb delaminate, but never a riser coming apart like that. That looks nasty. Glad you're alright.
Posts: 287 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soopernate
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2614

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soopernate   Email soopernate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you contact your underwear company about replacing your shorts as well?

--------------------
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Posts: 640 | From: Billings, Montana | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)