2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Well? How was your shooting this year? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Well? How was your shooting this year?
lpcjon2
Contributor 2012
Member # 21374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpcjon2   Email lpcjon2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shot great when I was practicing and did great on a tree rat but I didn't have any deer to shoot at so I have to work hard in late bow.

--------------------
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Posts: 8143 | From: NJ to GA back to NJ =Lost ;) | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horne Shooter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horne Shooter   Email Horne Shooter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Four dead animals in Africa with 4 arrows. Three pass throughs and one stuck in the offside shoulder on a gemsbok. 3 dead pigs and 1 Axis buck since then with 4 more arrows. Thought I was hot as a pistol until last week. Shot a nice 8 pt. whitetail a few inches back and did not recover it. I tried very hard with help from one of the best trackers I know...decent blood and stayed on the trail for 400 yards maybe more. Then it was like he got beamed up to space. Sure did put me back in my place.
I practice quite a bit but from time to time still forget to pick a spot and shoot an "area". You would think I would outgrow this bad habit after all these years.

--------------------
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Posts: 553 | From: Boerne, Texas | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LC
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LC   Email LC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good topic. One of my main goals is to get back to shooting like I use to. I like you, use to have confidence to the max years ago when I shot ALL the time but lately there seems to be too many other things that need done. I've bought a new bag target for the garage and plan on practicing form all winter long. I still went one for one on deer this year and practiced all during the season but I plan on working on my shooting intensely this year.

--------------------
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Posts: 1207 | From: Morgantown, WV | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bigriver
Contributor 2016
Member # 613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bigriver   Email Bigriver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not draw on a deer or an elk, but my shooting in general has gone up a few notches. I made a commitment to switch to 3 under & I cant believe how much better of a shot it has made me. My windage is now normally right on the money, it has made a lot of difference. Now I just need a deer to stand still this weekend, it would be a great ending to the year.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 1236 | From: West Bend WI | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC
Charter Member
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC   Email RC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
6 for 8 on deer and 7 for 8 on pigs. Critters I missed I missed clean. Missed deer at 24 and 34 yards both a tad low and shot in front of a walking porker. And kinda like Jason on squirrels...they really can laugh you know.RC
Posts: 4938 | From: Baxley,Ga | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSimon
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JSimon   Email JSimon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 1 for 3 on shots at 2 deer this year. I ended up getting the first deer with a second shot. My two misses were clean and just under them. My confidence is lacking right now as far as picking a spot in the heat of the moment. I would like to get a 3d deer target to practice on in the off season this year and shoot more 3d courses. My arrows are too weak as well, so I need to fix that next year.
Posts: 346 | From: Portland, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walt Francis
Contributor 2017
Member # 1901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walt Francis   Email Walt Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Due to a shoulder problem I switched from right to left handed this year. I spent a lot of time researching form, shooting a blank bale at 3 yards, attended a Rod Jenkins shooting clinic, used a glass bow instead of a self bow, switched to carbon instead of wood arrows, and went 6 for 7 whitetail deer so far (I still have one tag for late season does). I missed the first deer I shot at then had six complete pass through arrows with a 52 # Tolke Whip. It still feels strange to shoot left-handed but I won’t complain about the results.

I think its time to make another selfbow, build some good wood arrows (just can’t bring myself to hunt with carbons out of a selfbow), and start practicing with it for next year.

--------------------
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 5508 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hooked
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 1227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hooked   Email Hooked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shot terrible! Now, only got to hunt for about 3 days, but had three shots one of those days. I have no meat in the freezer if that tells you anything!

--------------------
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!" Katie Jones (7 years old)

Posts: 1375 | From: Olathe, KS | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GingivitisKahn
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GingivitisKahn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I killed every deer and groundhog I shot at (one of each) but so far, I've missed every squirrel I've shot at. So - average, I guess. Heh.
Posts: 2025 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CA BOWHUNTER
Contributor 2017
Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CA BOWHUNTER   Email CA BOWHUNTER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I have a long ways to go,I am having the time of my life. I killed a squirrel,Dragonfly,Jackrabbit,Antelope,the fence and the shed my duck blind that was in the shed and a Duck decoy that was in the shed. The shed makes a great backstop when the Door is close.

--------------------
Pronghorn Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Member
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why
(Mark Twain)

Posts: 1622 | From: Northeastern CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank
Charter Member
Member # 43

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank   Author's Homepage   Email Frank   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know yet as I've yet to go deer hunting. Next week will be the first in the woods.

No biggy as after Jan. 1 to the end of Feb is small game and hogs, then to May is hogs and turkey.

Posts: 858 | From: North Georgia | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ranger42
Contributor 2010
Member # 18701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ranger42   Email ranger42   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First year with a longbow, I shot all summer and was confident to start the season. First weekend, I missed a nice doe. How in the world? Kept shooting all season and telling myself to pick a spot. Finally, Dec. 19, I connected with a mature doe. Picked a spot, perfect shot!
Posts: 129 | From: indiana | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snag
SPONSOR
Member # 7716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snag   Author's Homepage   Email snag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Walt, glad to hear Rod's instruction is still paying dividends for you. Hope the shoulder stops bothering you. That's no fun.

I attended Rod Jenkins' shooting clinic this summer also. Before this I was an average shot. I'd have flyers now and then but shot ok. With blind bale practice, pulling through the shot with back muscles, working with a formaster, following through to completion, and going slow I have improved quite a bit...a lot more X's hit. Thanks Rod!

--------------------
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.
Wilderness Custom Arrows

Posts: 7561 | From: oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Winkler
2017 Contributor
Member # 15949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Winkler   Email Kevin Winkler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was my first full year with Trad equipment and I ended up 3 out of 5. Which I am extremely happy with.
[bigsmyl]

Shot my spring gobbler with my recurve, then I shot a nice 5x5 elk in CO. with my longbow.
I missed two shots at whitetails the same evening this fall, but the third time must be a charm. Because later that same evening I heart shot a nice tender button buck.

I'm working all the time trying to improve. I was shooting last night in the basement and my wife was wondering why I was shooting. I told her that shooting is like a stress reliever for me, to be able to follow the flight of the arrow.

I'm pretty confidant in my shooting out to 25yds, beyond that I still have some problems keeping them all in the kill zone of a deer target.

--------------------
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Membership Chairmen, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association
Compton Traditional Archers

Posts: 996 | From: Monroe, WI | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadman   Email shadman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's always a work in progress. I try to shoot a few arrows evey day in my basement. I find that the older you get, the harder you have to work at it. It's all good though.
Posts: 287 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)