2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Walnut as a limb core? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Walnut as a limb core?
JV Rooster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JV Rooster   Email JV Rooster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going to order a longbow soon and I realy like the looks of walnut in the limbs. Now,should I order it with bamboo as a core wood or is walnut good by its self? Thanks for your help. John

--------------------
>>>------John------>

Posts: 1030 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smoked
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smoked   Email smoked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a recurve that had Black walnut limbs and was very smooth drawing and really looked good. Not sure about on a longbow.
Posts: 123 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob L.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob L.   Email Bob L.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you can Pm Kennym or he may chime in. I know he did some testing on his Rd longbows and I believe one of them had walnut cores that performed well. I think that thread was in the bowyers bench.
Bob

Posts: 453 | From: Glide, Oregon | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianfromTulsa
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrianfromTulsa   Email BrianfromTulsa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have walnut limbs on my H2 and love them
Posts: 417 | From: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Carlsen
Contributor 2017
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Carlsen   Email Bill Carlsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few years ago I was selling bows for Vince Yak (Shadow Bows). He sent me a real pretty bow with walnut veneers. Long story short...I had the bow strung at the Muzzy shoot so people could try it. In the sun the limb simply delaminated. I called Vince about it and he told me that Walnut turned out to be very oily wood and he had a number of walnut limbs fail in the heat. He stopped using it in his limbs. I do not know if the wood can be "cured" in some way but I don't think I will ever own a bow with walnut in the limbs based on that experience and Vince's troubles with it.

--------------------
The best things in life....aren't things!

Posts: 5208 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vermonster13
SPONSOR
Member # 8675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vermonster13   Email vermonster13   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would go with bamboo for a core, veneers of what ever pleases you.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

http://www.blackswanarchery.com/

Posts: 21856 | From: Rutland, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Leemans
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 79

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Leemans   Email Tom Leemans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, that's wierd. Never heard of walnut doing that before.

--------------------
Got wood? - Tom

Posts: 4847 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Skinner
Contributor 2008
Member # 14603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Skinner   Email Bill Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Kolomi long bow that was made by Lynn Harrelson. It is bamboo back and belly with walnut core. It is the smoothest long bow I have. It is not the fastest, though. I have seen walnut bows shed their sinew backing as fasr as it could be applied. The bowyer had to use lye to degrease it so the sinew would stick. Bill
Posts: 575 | From: Alabama | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Littlejake
Contributor 2016
Member # 8574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Littlejake   Email Littlejake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used walnut on several recurves never had any problems,it preforms quite well.

--------------------
Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Posts: 339 | From: Shippensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walt Francis
Contributor 2017
Member # 1901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walt Francis   Email Walt Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a Marriah Thermal with walnut limbs, it was a good shooting bow. I never had any problems with the limbs.

--------------------
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 5512 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JV Rooster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JV Rooster   Email JV Rooster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. I will go with the bamboo cores.

--------------------
>>>------John------>

Posts: 1030 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Carlsen
Contributor 2017
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Carlsen   Email Bill Carlsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom: I'm not a bowyer but here is a pic of the bow. It had a walnut core...not veneers...and you can see how it simply let go along the walnut glue line and according to Vince it was a common problem for him. He had to replace a number of bows and the one constant in the bows he had trouble with was what is in the picture....glue failure at with the walunt lams.

-

--------------------
The best things in life....aren't things!

Posts: 5208 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m'gobo
Member # 21062

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m'gobo   Email m'gobo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a big fan of bamboo. Dirty or otherwise.
Posts: 53 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danny Rowan
Contributor 2017
Member # 1321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danny Rowan   Email Danny Rowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Bill Howland, walnut is one of the best woods for a core wood, along with wenge, I have to agree, I have a Quest with custom verticle laminated wenge/walnut cores and it is smooth, quick and quiet.

Danny

--------------------
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993

Posts: 7840 | From: Guam | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chubber
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chubber   Email chubber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seen several Elburg's with walnut on the belly,red elm on the back,looked pretty good.
Posts: 116 | From: Rising sun,In. | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)