2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Cloudiness in the glass

Author Topic: Cloudiness in the glass
LongStick64
Contributor 2015
Member # 18059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LongStick64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a couple of older bows that show some cloudiness in the glass, what causes that, any concern.

--------------------
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Posts: 2410 | From: New York - LI | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spectre
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spectre   Email Spectre   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it uniformly all over the bow, or is it just in spots? Pics?

--------------------
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Posts: 974 | From: Rupert, Idaho | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walt Francis
Contributor 2017
Member # 1901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walt Francis   Email Walt Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Others have had better encounters then me but here is my experience: I had cloudiness in the glass on a longbow once and ignored it. Pulled the bow back and the top, belly glass/lam delaminated; it went through the web between my thumb and pointer finger and stopped at the base of my pinky. The doctor couldn't believe it didn't cut any of my finger tendons. Personally, I wouldn't ignore it. Have it checked by a good bowyer.

--------------------
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 5373 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eman614
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eman614   Email eman614   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is it a new problem, or have they been that way all along? sometimes the glass is cloudy before it is put on the bow, and there is nothing that can be done. worst part of that is, you can't really tell until after the bow has been glued up.
Posts: 505 | From: athens, georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Killdeer
Contributor 2016
Member # 437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Killdeer   Author's Homepage   Email Killdeer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes, the cloudiness is from a coating of wax getting damp. Did you wax your bow like everybody says you should?

Killdeer

--------------------
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Posts: 15436 | From: Fibber McGee's Closet, VA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jhg
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jhg   Email jhg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes it is caused by sunlight degrading the material. That light may not always be direct either. If the time of exposure is long enouugh (yrs) reflected light can do it too. Many clear polyesters and certainly epoxies don't fair well under ultraviolet exposure.

Obviously we can't hunt with our clear glass bows in a sock, but some awareness can help head off the inevitable. It would take a heck of a lot of hunting and being on the range to cloud a bow if you took care not to lay the bow down in direct sun, for example.

I think in 50 years this is going to be a big topic concerning bows made recently using a clear glass that has no UV inhibitors in the epoxy or finish. Bows stored openly in a bright room and/or carelessly left in full sun a lot will be the likely canidates for conversation.
I just ordered a clear bow myself, so am not too worried about it.

Joshua

--------------------
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Posts: 1284 | From: colorado | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Charbonneau
Contributor 2009
Member # 6734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Charbonneau   Email Gene Charbonneau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember back around 10 years ago that a lot of bowyers were complaining that the raw glass fiber from Gordon was looking quite cloudy after being laid up. This particular issue was just cosmetic. I have owned several newer bows that had this condition. It can really make a pretty bow look "not so pretty".

That being said, I have no doubt that some of the cloudiness issues may be an actual physical problem. If in doubt I would have someone knowledgeable check it out, for safety sake.

Best wishes.

Gene

--------------------
}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Posts: 549 | From: Athens, Maine | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)