2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Coldest temps you have hunted? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Coldest temps you have hunted?
Orion
Contributor 2017
Member # 2759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orion   Email Orion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little community I used to drive through on the way to my hunting area had a bank with a clock and thermometer on it so I could always check the temperature on my way out. About 25 years ago, I hunted at -20 degrees F with a 20 plus mph wind, from a tree no less. That's the only time I ever quit hunting because I was too cold. Made it just a little more than two hours. My hands were so cold, numb and immobile by the time I got back to my truck that I had a very difficult time getting the keys out of my pocket.

I don't hunt in that kind of weather anymore. If I'm going to sit in a tree, 0 degrees and a wind less than 15mph is the limit. Will hunt in colder, windier weather if I'm going to be stillhunting/moving. Don't think I'd go out in 20 below anymore.

Posts: 8468 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red Beastmaster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Beastmaster   Email Red Beastmaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hunted in -20 and lasted about 3hr sitting on a log. I had to cradle my bow in my arms to walk out, my fingers would not work. That was 20 years ago when I was pretty stupid.

Today it was 15 degrees with snow and wind. I stoked up the coal stove and watched golf on TV. Much smarter now. [Smile]

--------------------
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy. Coach John Wooden

Posts: 1708 | From: Meyersdale, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianH
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrianH   Email BrianH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spent a couple hours in a tree stand at -18 degrees. Pulling the treestand from public land that morning might have been one of the more painful thins I have ever done.
Posts: 241 | From: Moorhead, MN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gray Buffalo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gray Buffalo   Author's Homepage   Email Gray Buffalo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I killed a nice little fat forky at fort wood a few years back at -7*. The blood trail froze before I got down to trail him. Now on days like that I pop my blind and turn on the heater.

--------------------
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Posts: 1818 | From: St. Peters, Missouri, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LKH
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LKH   Email LKH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During the late 50's and early 60's I rifle hunted up by Int'l Falls as a kid. No money in the family and I used tenni's with wool socks over them and put rubber galoshes on top.

We did mostly drives and with temps sometimes hitting the minus 30's, standing was no treat.

Bow hunting in Dec in Idaho I have hunted to about -20. Don't do much sitting and thank god for hand warmers.

Posts: 788 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Yancey
SPONSOR
Member # 4892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Yancey   Email Mike Yancey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hunted NE back in the spring of 97 for turkeys with a wind chill of -25 the turkeys thought it was just fine, they were going crazy. My buddy and me filled our tags the first day of our hunt. We rebooked our flight home to get out of the blizzard and flew out of the only airport open in ND which at the time I didn't know if that was a good thing or not. After we left it really got bad, dumping several inches of snow. Our guide Jason Lambley hunted for himself and took a bird after we left.
Mike

Posts: 977 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walt Francis
Contributor 2017
Member # 1901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walt Francis   Email Walt Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One year I had a good buck patterned and finally saw him Thanksgiving morning, with only three days left in the season, I spent the last three days in a tree stand from before light to after dark. Low temperature one day was -42 and the highest it got on any of those three days was -10, the wind varied from 10-30 mph. From the ground I hunted numerous times when it was colder then -40 (I have a thermometer that hangs from my back pack and that is the lowest it goes) on general/gun and late season archery elk hunts.

--------------------
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 5512 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leftybearfan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leftybearfan   Email leftybearfan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My coldest hunt of any sort was a duck hunt many moons ago (I was a teenager). The temp was -8 with a -25 or so windchill if memory serves.

Coldest deer hunt the temp was 5 above with a windchill a hair below zero.

Both hunts were in Illinois. You far north guys are made of stouter stuff than I am :-)

--------------------
"It's easier to do the right thing, than to explain why you didn't."

Posts: 382 | From: Tennessee by way of Illinois | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ragnarok Forge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ragnarok Forge   Email Ragnarok Forge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hunted one year in college with night temps varying between -5 and 0 with daytime temps all the way up to 18 degrees some days. Better yet I was camping that weekend. Young and dumb. I slept in a - 20 bag with two pads under me and four blankets above me. I built a rock reflector and pit base and had a big stack of wood I could reach from the tent. I woke up every two to three hours to throw more wood on the fire. Upside, there was not wind over the four days I hunted. I shot a mule deer doe the last day of the hunt on a sunny ridge face where she was bedded.

I wouldn't even try and hunt like that now. It is really rare to get that cold of weather here in Washington and it was Eastern Washington where it gets a lot colder than western Washington. I only hunted between 9:00 and 3:00 each day.

--------------------
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone. It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Posts: 3246 | From: Vancouver, WA. | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ethan   Email ethan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! You guys are studs! My coldest is 3 with the wind chill. I made it about 3 and a half hours.
Posts: 1748 | From: Cumberland Plateau,Tennessee | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Cooper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Cooper   Email Jeff Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feb. '99 Texas Bubba and myself were out all day calling fox and coyotes in -47F.(The dogs get quite desperate when the bottom drops out!). Bubba shot a HTM rubber blunt at a cluster of leaves, and just like Pac's moose, that thing shattered like glass. I have since had one do the same thing when I shot it at an excellsior bale at -50F.
Posts: 175 | From: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Cooper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Cooper   Email Jeff Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgto to mention. I was out calling yesterday in a balmy -30!
Posts: 175 | From: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jock Whisky
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jock Whisky   Email Jock Whisky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cold??? Why I'll tell ya about cold. I remember one winter back in '65 when it was so cold that the words we spoke came out of our mouth froze solid. We had to thaw them out with a candle to hear what we were sayin' to each other. That worked ok for a day or so but then the dang candle flame froze up. After that and to this day we have no idea what we were talkin about.

JW

--------------------
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Posts: 438 | From: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Krebs
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Krebs   Email Brian Krebs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
minus 30

--------------------
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Posts: 2556 | From: North Fork , Idaho | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Wald
Contributor 2010
Member # 15100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Wald   Email Jerry Wald       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We took a bison and when we left our camp it was minus 37 but no wind.....we shot this bison...small one thank god.....we had to build a fire and a lean to just to field dress it.

Coupled with amazingly thick hide and dirty hair can make for a miserable time. We had to sharpen knives constantly getting the hide off cause it was sooooo dirty.

We got the hide off and it was still steaming 45 minutes later...crazy.

We got the bison on the sled in under 2.5 hours, but I hope to never do that again. Doesn't make it a pleasant hunt at all.

Jer Bear

Posts: 1608 | From: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)