2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Would you hunt elk with??? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Would you hunt elk with???
Ragnarok Forge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ragnarok Forge   Email Ragnarok Forge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of good info and varying opinions in this post. I am really enjoying it.

Key elements to a clean kill in my view are.

1. Put the shot in the boiler room
2. Perfectly tuned arrow
3. Optimized arrow weight and FOC
4. optimized cut on contact broadhead

1 & 2 are the most important in my view. Arrow weight, FOC, etc.. are insurance to help make a quick humane kill on the animal. A perfectly tuned arrow that is lighter can outpenetrate a poorly tuned heavy arrow. An optimized lighter arrow can outpenetrate a non-optimized heavier arrow. The key is to optimize everything you can in your system to ensure a humane kill.

I agree with the earlier posts that worrying about bow poundage is low on my list of worries, so long as it meets the state legal requirements.

Lots of guys can shoot 70 lb bows accurately. I am not one of them. I am far more accurate at 55lbs and a 30.25 inch draw length.

I have seen it stated that 1-inch of draw length = 5lbs of bow weight. I shoot 55 lbs at 30.25 inches with my bow. That would be equivalent for arrow speed to 65-67 lbs at 28 inches for the same bow design and arrow weight. The weight written on the bow is not an indicator of arrow performance.

--------------------
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone. It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Posts: 3246 | From: Vancouver, WA. | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
L. E. Carroll
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L. E. Carroll   Author's Homepage   Email L. E. Carroll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spend considerable time chasing them..

Early season when it's warm and I'm dressed light... I carry and shoot right at 57-61# for elk.

However, when it gets cold, below freezing... I start adding clothes. when this starts along with the fact that the muscles and hands are cold, I have often dropped down to a lighter set of limbs [53#] I find I shoot the lower weight better in the cold.

I do use some foc and keep my arrow weight right a 10 gpp. and I use 160 grizley and 130 no-mercy single edge SHARP broadheads.

I have never felt under-bowed with either set up.

When I was younger I also shot the 70# bows, but with a lifetime of hard work and shoulder surgeries on both sides, those weights are no-longer an option... I refuse to let old age and it's complications, keep me from doing the things I live for !!

Besides I can hunt elk within 10 minutes of my home. Waayyy better than getting old in front of the TV. [ My wife says I'm a "Teenager With Wrinkles"] [goldtooth]

just my $.02
Gene [wavey]

--------------------
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Posts: 2498 | From: La Center, Wash. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walt Francis
Contributor 2017
Member # 1901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walt Francis   Email Walt Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easy answer: Yes

I have taken elk with both similar and less efficient setups. Also, I have taken them using bows between 57 and 65#’s. The one thing I have learned when shooting an elk (like most big game animals) where you hit them is a lot more important then how far the arrow goes out the other side.

--------------------
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 5401 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazyhorse86
Contributor 2011
Member # 21986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazyhorse86   Email crazyhorse86   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes - I hunt with a 55 lb bow and 575 gr arrow, 175 gn broadhead. I have several nice bows with heavier draw weights that i can shoot fine, BUT THIS IS MY MONEY BOW. Penetration doesn't matter if you don't hit the bread basket! Stick with the weight that will make you feel confident with your skills on the trail. (at least 50lbs legally here in Wyoming)
Posts: 166 | From: Wy | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
Contributor 2017
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all for your input.....I think I'm good to go with the bows and arrows that I have and hope to get the chance to hunt elk in the near future.......thanks again!!! ron w

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 15447 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxnam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxnam   Author's Homepage   Email oxnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Hammond:
why does increased power REQUIRE you to be out of control? Where in his question does he say " don't tell me to shoot a higher weight because I can't handle it"?

Evidently I may have come across wrong.

My point was, everyone has a limit at which accuracy begins to diminish with higher poundages and they start losing control. I did not imply that he was anywhere near that point or couldn't handle more. My message was simply intended to be, don't let others talk you into being over-bowed.

His proposed setup and similar ones have been proven effective on elk, but not what I would consider ideal. And definately would not recommend it out to 25 yards. It is adequate and I would not tell someone not to hunt elk because of that setup.

I figured that everyone would shoot on the upper end of their comfort level in the poundage range when hunting elk. If am wrong in that assumption, and probably am, they should be shooting at higher poundages. I am a big fan of shooting the most that I can be consistent with. I like shooting heavier bows but life gets hectic and I can't always shoot everyday and sometimes I even miss weeks. I can't do that when shooting 75-80#, that is why I shoot 65#.

Posts: 658 | From: Idaho | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Builder
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Builder   Author's Homepage   Email Builder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The question was will a 50-52# bow shooting a 575 grain arrow be adequate for Elk? I suspect is would be. However, I am probably in the bigger is better crowd. Lots of opinions. I have been in conversations with gun hunters that won't hunt elk with a 30-06 or 308, they feel they need 338's or 300 magnums. I suspect they would say their wasn't any traditional equipment adequate to be hunting Elk. Lots of opinions.

--------------------
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Posts: 366 | From: 13875 goodview Ave N. Hugo, MN. | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T Sunstone
Contributor 2017
Member # 11170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T Sunstone   Email T Sunstone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shot a 5x5 bull this past September broadside at 29 yards and only got 16 inches penetration. The hit was 6 inches behind the leg and about half way up the body. Dead elk, but never found him. I was shooting a well tuned Robertson long bow 63# @ 29 with 20/20 easton shafts with Wensel woodsman broad heads. Next time I'm using 2 blades.
Posts: 606 | From: MD | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. . . 60+ for me. I don't care what others have done. I won't do it.
ChuckC

Posts: 7164 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingnut
SPONSOR - Charter Member
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wingnut   Author's Homepage   Email wingnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, no problem! Heck don't listen to Buff he wouldn't hunt itty bitty bunnys with less then 60#s.

I've hunted elk my whole life and yes I grew up hunting in Washington, Oregon and Idaho.

I've killed elk with "all natural" bows that were in the high 50s and shot through everyone of them.

A modern glass bow in the mid 40s shoots the same arrow at the same speed.

heavy arrow, sharp broadhead, good shot!!

Go for it!!

Mike

--------------------
www.dryadbows.com
www.dryadbows.com/helleknives/index.htm

http://www.facebook.com/dryadbows?ref=ts
TRADGANG Sponsor since day 1

Posts: 9249 | From: weatherford, texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are asking if a 50 pound bow is enough for . . . you ain't Fred Eichler. There is a lot more involved than just the bow and the arrow.
ChuckC

Posts: 7164 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ishiwannabe
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ishiwannabe   Email ishiwannabe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ron, is there a minimum weight required in the state you would be hunting in? Thats the only thing I would worry about. The rest is putting the BH where it needs to be.

If you are going, best of luck.

--------------------
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
-Jamie

Posts: 4441 | From: Coxsackie, NY | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
Contributor 2017
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ChuckC, Just ask'n for opinions,got a bunch, Never said I was Fred Eichler or anybody else!!

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 15447 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moose eye levi
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moose eye levi   Email moose eye levi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't see any problem the indians did it with bows of less draw weight sharp broadheads and good shot placement will do a number on anything.

--------------------
>>-->Levi Arnold<--<<

Posts: 429 | From: Guernsey County Oh. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BMG
Contributor 2014
Member # 15782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BMG   Author's Homepage   Email BMG   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moose eye levi:
Don't see any problem the indians did it with bows of less draw weight sharp broadheads and good shot placement will do a number on anything.

while on horseback from a distance of 6-8 feet to boot.
Posts: 405 | From: Tijeras, NM | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)