2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Arrow dynamics question?

Author Topic: Arrow dynamics question?
T Sunstone
Contributor 2017
Member # 11170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T Sunstone   Email T Sunstone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ordered a 1/2 doz Trads from Paul at Badger arrows last Monday and received them on Wednesday. Great, fast service and very friendly. I haven't had a lot of time to test the arrows but they are shooting like darts out of my 63# long bow w/ brass inserts and 175 grain head full length arrows total weight 657 grains.
Someone said you can't bare shaft tune these, is that true? They are flying great but I just keep thinking maybe the nock point needs to be up some. I was shooting 20/20's which is a much smaller shaft by 20,000 of an inch. Seems like the nock point should be higher, what do you guys think?

Posts: 607 | From: MD | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtpops
Contributor 2015
Member # 7254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtpops   Email wtpops   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wont hurt to bump it up a 1/16" at a time and see what happens, you can always put it back.
Have fun.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Posts: 2723 | From: Siloam Springs, AR | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danny Rowan
Contributor 2017
Member # 1321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danny Rowan   Email Danny Rowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, ADs will not bare shaft, do not waste you time. If they are flying good, just shoot. If ya need to bump up the nock do it you can always lower it again.

Danny

--------------------
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993

Posts: 7834 | From: Guam | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amar911
Contributor 2013
Member # 15808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amar911   Email amar911   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Danny said.

Allan

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 3231 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walt Francis
Contributor 2017
Member # 1901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walt Francis   Email Walt Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Danny and amar911, why won't they bare shaft? I hadn’t heard that.

I guess it is good that nobody told me they couldn't be bare shafted or I wouldn’t have tried. Not knowing better, last summer I bare shafted my AD Trad's and got them to hit the same as my feathered AD’s from 5 to30 yards. I didn't try them past that distance, but it freaked out my friends when I shot unfletched arrows at 3D targets at 20 to 30 yards and they all hit within a few inches of my feathered arrows, while flying straight.

--------------------
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 5512 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T Sunstone
Contributor 2017
Member # 11170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T Sunstone   Email T Sunstone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear they will bare shaft tune. I did shoot it in the basement at only 8 yards and they hit where I looked but not always straight.
Thanks Walt.

Posts: 607 | From: MD | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danny Rowan
Contributor 2017
Member # 1321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danny Rowan   Email Danny Rowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Walt,

Arrow Dynamics says not to bareshaft them, also Ted Fry told me that. Plus I have seen several threads on people trying to bareshaft them and could not get them to do it. Guess you were the exception to the rule.

Danny

--------------------

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member

Posts: 7834 | From: Guam | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jrchambers
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jrchambers   Email jrchambers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes you can bare shaft ads. at leat the adcock method. thats how i got my nock point right on, as well as spine, i also shoot a 63 at 28 lb but i draw 30+ i use the exact setup as you, i use the 100 grain brass inserts, i started with 220gr tips they showed weak, then 200 still weak but 175 ended just a tad weak but reall good with broad heads, then i painted and crested wich added just a little weight to the rear and they group dead on with great bare flight.
Posts: 1158 | From: kenai alaska | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ted Fry
SPONSOR
Member # 386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ted Fry   Author's Homepage   Email Ted Fry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep Danny they are right , the company does not recommend it but a buddy of mine ( shaun) and I messed around with them for a whole Saturday and we could move the impact point around by cutting off a little and playing around with the point weight,n ever would have believed it if I hadnt seen it.
Mind you however this was with a center cut recurve.
Most of the time for me , it works just to throw three feathers on and go(guess I'm lucky), but we could move impact point around.
Nice to learn something new from time to time.

--------------------
www.raptorarchery.com
Happy Hunting,
Ted

Posts: 1621 | From: www.raptorarchery.com | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danny Rowan
Contributor 2017
Member # 1321

Well,I just know what works for me and my bows. I am old school and if I shoot wood, I know what spine I need and length plus point weight because I use a formula to figure it out, the AD's I just took Ted's advise and they work for me. Bareshafting has never worked for me, too much can go wrong and it is way too time consuming and confusing.

--------------------

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member

T Sunstone
Contributor 2017
Member # 11170

quote:
Originally posted by jrchambers:
yes you can bare shaft ads. at leat the adcock method. thats how i got my nock point right on, as well as spine, i also shoot a 63 at 28 lb but i draw 30+ i use the exact setup as you, i use the 100 grain brass inserts, i started with 220gr tips they showed weak, then 200 still weak but 175 ended just a tad weak but reall good with broad heads, then i painted and crested wich added just a little weight to the rear and they group dead on with great bare flight.

Were you shooting full length arrows?
jrchambers
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jrchambers   Email jrchambers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes full length. still show a little weak
Posts: 1158 | From: kenai alaska | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtrema312
Contributor 2014
Member # 18854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xtrema312   Email xtrema312   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how do most of you tune? Do you just shoot broad heads and field points?

--------------------
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Posts: 4040 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jrchambers
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8771

i just folowed the adcock method which has bare and fletched as well as broadheads and field points.
archeryelk*
Member # 21022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for archeryelk*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I shoot is the arrow dynamic traditional and traditional lites and I've never had a problem bare shaft tuning them. Even out of several different bows, longbow or recurve.
Posts: 24 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)