2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » skinny's and rayzr's

Author Topic: skinny's and rayzr's
Muleyslayer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muleyslayer   Email Muleyslayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently lost my wheels and ordered a new recurve by Lynn Harrelson, 3 more mos. can't wait. my question is I like the axis arrows and small 2inch duravanes on my old set up and thought I might try the mfx classic and rayzr 2inch feather vanes, has anybody tried this? Or I'm I thinking too far outside the box? [archer]

--------------------
"LUCK"
When preparation meets opportunity

Posts: 203 | From: Wickliffe, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason R. Wesbrock
Charter
Member # 367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason R. Wesbrock   Email Jason R. Wesbrock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You would have to use an elevated rest with those vanes. An NAP Flipper II would work great.
Posts: 3771 | From: Northeast Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George D. Stout
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 69

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George D. Stout   Email George D. Stout       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason, he is talking feathers at 2 inches. I would still think you would need a good launch point, but should be able to shoot it off the shelf if you like. Frankly, I like feathers a little longer, I like to err on the side of stability, as Charlie Lamb would say 8^).
Posts: 5075 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
owlbait
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for owlbait         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Rayzr's shoot well. I fletched mine 4 fletch though, so it does add back some total fletch surface. The high profile and stiffness helps too.

--------------------
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Posts: 6321 | From: Hesperia, Mi | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
even if my unfletched broadheads flew true out to 25 yards consistently, my arras would look nekid with itty bitty 2" feathers.

imo, longer and/or more feathers help when yer release isn't 'perfect'. i won't use less than a 4" 4-fletch.

a good course of action is to give those 2" feathers a good testing.

--------------------
IAM ~ Black Powder Gang ~ TANJ ~ TGMM ~ NRA Patriot Life ~ NRA RSO

Posts: 9967 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muleyslayer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muleyslayer   Email Muleyslayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
being new I guess my release wont be perfect I guess i need to think outside my old box and think inside a wood hut and get totally trad. Thanks for yer opinion guys. [thumbsup] p.s. owlbait with my stubborness i'll probably still try it seeing how i've got a gazilion of those axis arras! [Wink]

--------------------
"LUCK"
When preparation meets opportunity

Posts: 203 | From: Wickliffe, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kbetts
Contributor 2016
Member # 20318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kbetts   Email kbetts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Axis work great with 4" right off the shelf. I use less helical on them than larger diameter shafts. Vanes work well with them if you use an elevated rest, but the real short ones may be pushing it with big bladed broadheads.

--------------------
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away." Phish

Posts: 1841 | From: Milford Delaware | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
owlbait
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for owlbait         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck muleyslayer. Try some extra weight out front and you may be surprised how well they fly. It sure doesn't hurt to try [goldtooth]

--------------------
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Posts: 6321 | From: Hesperia, Mi | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason R. Wesbrock
Charter
Member # 367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason R. Wesbrock   Email Jason R. Wesbrock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George,

Oops...for some reason I was thinking Blazers. [knothead]

Posts: 3771 | From: Northeast Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewsbow
Contributor 2017
Member # 3040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for drewsbow   Email drewsbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shoot them that way , just add lots of point weight to a stiffer shaft and go for it. [wavey] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Posts: 6059 | From: Dansville N.Y. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mocsin1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mocsin1   Email Mocsin1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shoot them and they fly great. I love feathers but like to have some veins to use in the rain.
Posts: 616 | From: Virginia | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earthdog
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Earthdog   Email Earthdog       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shoot them on Easton Redlines,an love them.

Great fletch,,hold up to rain better than longer feathers,the Red ones even more so,as silent in flight as your ever likely to get with a feather.

There one draw back is they don't handle wind as well as a larger feather.

--------------------
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Posts: 427 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)