2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Amazed by the old Bears (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Amazed by the old Bears
Dave Pagel
Contributor 2017
Member # 2481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Pagel   Email Dave Pagel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am fortunate to have owned or shot a lot of the high dollar bows and I appreciate them, but I have recently picked up a couple of old Bears and they are amazing me. I picked up a 1973 Super Kodiak from a TradGanger,60 inch, 50# @ 28 and my brother gave me a 1960 Kodiak, 64 inch, 41# @ 28.

The Super Kodiak is in great condition and I shoot 29 1/4 inch 1916s with 145 grain heads. the Kodiak had a few holes in it so I had Whip fix it up for me. It is now a beauty and I shoot 29 1/4 inch 1816s with 125 grain heads out of it.

As I said, I really like and appreciate my custom bows, but both of these bows shoot very accurately and consistently for me. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with either one although 41# concerns me some. I get 5 doe tags for the area I hunt and I think I am going to have to do a retro hunt this late season.

D.P.

Posts: 2337 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Benny Nganabbarru   Email Benny Nganabbarru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup]

They're good, for sure. A hunt with an old Bear is on my agenda, too.

[archer2]

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Posts: 6045 | From: Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaun
SPONSOR
Member # 2320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaun   Email Shaun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a thread a while back about improvements in recurves compared to "the old days". I don't think there has been much gained since about 1959. Maybe a few feet per second and maybe some better custom woods and finishes, but for good ol' hunting...

I have been carrying a 1959 Kodiak 42# to my turkey blind with some Forgewoods and Bear Razorheads.

--------------------
www.taurusbows.com

Posts: 5096 | From: Iowa City,IA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcar315
Contributor 2017
Member # 19642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcar315   Email jcar315   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, You are right on! Great observation and it amazes me too how well the classic Bear bows shoot.

I picked up a 1964 Bear Grizzly and it is a real hammer.

--------------------
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant. Made the switch to LH shooting and it was THE best thing I ever did.....YMMV

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 5258 | From: Boonsboro Maryland | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
Contributor 2017
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a mid 70's Grizzly 45# @ 28" 58" long. It's a great bow I have newer bows of the same weight that out perform it but that don't matter. That old Bear is just nice to shoot and just loves a cedar arrow......been thinking about a retro hunt myself, maybe this is the year!! That bow was my mothers uncle's and he wanted me to have it before he passed on.

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 15447 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FBB
Contributor 2016
Member # 18435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FBB   Email FBB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have several customs also and enjoy shooting them but today I was shooting my 1970 Bear Takedown and came to the conclusion I shoot it the best and like to shoot it the most with the Super Kodiak of the same year a close second. It's not the fastest but it's whisper quiet and there's not enough o's in smooth to describe how it shoots.
Posts: 271 | From: Traverse City, Michigan | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed Neudorf
Member # 15132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Neudorf   Email Ed Neudorf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first and so far only trad bow is a Bear Grizzly, of mid-60's vintage I believe. I got started in trad because I like the idea of taking a bow with lots of history behind it and going hunting with it. It shoots great as far as I can tell, though of course I have no other bows to compare it to.
Posts: 27 | From: Vegreville,Alberta | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arrowslinger22
Contributor 2017
Member # 2575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arrowslinger22   Email arrowslinger22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 2 K Mags 65'& 69' 58# and 47# and just bought a 73'Kodiak Hunter @41# for rehab from my hand surgery. Those are the only glass backed bows I shoot. Love the old bears.....

--------------------
Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realize that we cannot eat money

Posts: 703 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earthdog
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Earthdog   Email Earthdog       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 58" 50lb@28 Bear "Brown Bear Hunter" hanging on the wall behind me.

I could brace that bow up an be shooting it as good as any of my other bows in minites,because it's just a plain old good shootin bow .

Not much has really changed in a lot of years now and if archers just bought what worked the one time,not many of us would have more than one bow,,,an most of those would be old by todays standards.

--------------------
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Posts: 427 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishycatfish
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fishycatfish   Email Fishycatfish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just ordered a Kodiak hunter #50 @ 28 and 62" and I can't wait to get it in.
Posts: 115 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wapiti Chaser
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wapiti Chaser   Author's Homepage   Email Wapiti Chaser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my 1966 Bear's. Here is a couple deer I took with my 66 Grizzly. Tommorrow it's off to a 3-D shoot with my 66 K Mag.

-

-

--------------------
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Posts: 2317 | From: Bergen NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steelhead
Contributor 2014
Member # 9220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steelhead   Email Steelhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldnt agree more Dave.My 64 inch 59er shot terrific in every way.If I had more money I would still have it.I suspect your 64 inch 1960 version is very similar
Posts: 4871 | From: Lake Orion MI. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Ed
Contributor 2017
Member # 2241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Ed   Email Big Ed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oldies but goodies.

--------------------
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Posts: 6883 | From: Morgantown, PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slewfoot62
Member # 20283

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slewfoot62   Email Slewfoot62   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys I think old Fred was definitely on to something back in the day. I've become obsessed with the old Bears and been collecting them for almost 2 years. Bought 6 so far my favorite is my 66 Kodiak that bow and I have become one.Must stop buying bows for a while its making me work odd jobs and other strange things!!.
Posts: 81 | From: Elkmont Alabama | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brently
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brently   Email Brently   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can make them real pretty and fancy, but in the end they are all just a stick and string. Nothing wrong with a custom bow, but physics will only make that arrow go so fast.
Posts: 323 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)