2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » HELP! - Spine question

Author Topic: HELP! - Spine question
TSchirm
Contributor 2015
Member # 20304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TSchirm   Email TSchirm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am newly back to trad archery and am wondering how you determine the spine of an arrow of a certain length. I am wondering about 2117's cut to 27 1/2" BOP. Thanks for any help.

--------------------
Tom - Fish Carver

Posts: 399 | From: Washington | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TSchirm
Contributor 2015
Member # 20304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TSchirm   Email TSchirm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TTT

--------------------
Tom - Fish Carver

Posts: 399 | From: Washington | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaun
SPONSOR
Member # 2320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaun   Email Shaun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easton has a spine chart for their shafting. Maybe someone will post the link or you can use a search engine to find it.

Spine is "relative" and only a starting point from which you will need to tune for proper arrow flight. In general, a 2117 cut that short is going to be pretty stiff (high spine) and you will need a stout bow or heavy point to get clean flight.

With aluminum, I usually start with the bow and point weight and a full length shaft. Then cut 1/4" off at a time and test until it flies right. Or, try different points weights on the fixed length shaft until if flies.

--------------------
www.taurusbows.com

Posts: 5099 | From: Iowa City,IA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowferd
Contributor 2010
Member # 12556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowferd   Email Bowferd       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TShirm, I don't know the answer but would think that at 27 1/2 they shouldn't be much heavier spined than at 28. The 2117 is still a pretty heavy spine that would compare to a wood arrow in the 75-80# range and a carbon in around 400 spine.
I'm thinking if you shoot a bow in the 60-80# range they may work depending on your actual draw and point weight used.
I used to shoot them out of 55# longbows but they were left longer.
One of the aluminum gurus will come around and give you a much better analysis.

--------------------
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Posts: 2026 | From: Elba, Nebraska | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metsastaja
Contributor 2010
Member # 17612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for metsastaja   Email metsastaja   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just ran that arrow through Stu Miller Dynamic spine calculator. using 125 bh 100 g insert 4"feather the spine came out at about 74.6

Calculator download

--------------------
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Posts: 1162 | From: Florida n Maine | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)