2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » National Archery in the Schools Program (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: National Archery in the Schools Program
Tim Nuss
Contributor 2017
Member # 1347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Nuss   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Nuss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering what everyones opinion was about the National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP)?
Will it help or hurt us in Traditional Archery?

Tim

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of Illinois
Compton Member

Posts: 242 | From: East Central Illinois - Ford County | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaun
SPONSOR
Member # 2320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaun   Email Shaun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mostly wheelie Genesis bows from Mathews - no archery involved.

--------------------
www.taurusbows.com

Posts: 5097 | From: Iowa City,IA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morning Star
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morning Star   Author's Homepage   Email Morning Star   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anytime you can put a bow in a kid's hand is a good thing. This program brings them to more kids than any other.

As far as "no archery involved". The Genesis bows operate without letoff and draw length adjustments, so I fail to see how the process of shooting is any different than a traditional bow.

Like many of us here, I only needed the fire to be lit with a compound.

--------------------
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Posts: 972 | From: Eastern Iowa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbCrow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbCrow   Email cbCrow       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm all for anything that gets kids involved in Archery. [clapper] It does not matter to me what they are introduced with, compound or trad equipment because there will always be those kids that once interested will look for a different way. I wonder how many on here are like me and started with a compound but searched for that different way? [archer]
Posts: 989 | From: Kingsport,Tn | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adeeden
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for adeeden   Email adeeden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a great program, yes they use the mathews genesis bows but no sights or releases so the fundamentals are still there! Our local club helps support the program finacialy in our high school and jr high school by buying bows, replaceing stings, cables and so forth.

Just a few weeks ago our local jr high won the IL state championship and will be going to Louseiville KY to compete in the national championship! I'm proud to say two of my boys are on that team!

Yeah my boys initialy complained abit they couldn't shot there recurves but applied what they already knew from instinctive shooting to turn in some good scores!

Anytime you can introduce kids to archery it's a great thing!

--------------------
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Posts: 1929 | From: Georgetown, IL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nosight
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nosight   Email Nosight   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As said above a great program...

We support it here at our club also and we see kids getting started with archery.

The best part is on kids day some of us show up to help and the kids start to ask what we all shoot. Well we get the comments of "oh all of the old stuff". But for some silly reason they give it a try.

Well for the rest of the day most of the "new stuff sits on the rack....

All we know is greatfun had by all...

Later.....Buzz

--------------------
Remember...aim small miss small...

Posts: 653 | From: Buckly Washington | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Stokes
Contributor 2010
Member # 16802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Stokes   Email Don Stokes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I smile every time I see the scores reported in our local newspaper. All archery is good. The youngsters involved are not likely to become anti-hunters, either.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Posts: 2602 | From: New Albany, MS | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KentuckyTJ
Contributor 2012
Member # 12840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KentuckyTJ   Author's Homepage   Email KentuckyTJ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantastic. Getting kids into archery of any kind has no ill effects. I applaud those who have taken their time to create and maintain this program.

--------------------
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it >>>---->

Posts: 8990 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barney
2017 Contributor
Member # 2983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barney   Email Barney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Morning Star said it best. [thumbsup]
Posts: 2004 | From: Wapiti, Wyoming | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BobCo 1965
Contributor 2014
Member # 6104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BobCo 1965   Email BobCo 1965   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is a great idea. I would even go as far to say the Genisis bow is a good choice. There is no let off on a Genesis bow, however addional energy can be stored in the cam. A little guy in forth grade can get decent arrow trajectory out of a 10 pound bow and is not overburdened by the size of the bow. One instrucor (who usually transports the equipment from school to school in a district) the can use the same bows from elementary all the way to high school because no draw length adjustments are needed from archer to archer and the exact same size bow can be used for all students (well except if the student draws over 30"). Often times the instructor also owns the equipment which he can also personally use to instruct 4-H, boyscouts, personal instruction courses, etc.
Posts: 2062 | From: NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imskippy
Contributor 2014
Member # 12055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imskippy   Author's Homepage   Email imskippy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that any archery (whhels or not) is good for youth involvement. Our trad group in NJ supports many schools NASP programs. I'm actually considering going for the instructor course to get certified so I can try to impliment a program into our locals schools. I would love to be involved in something like that.

--------------------
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Posts: 964 | From: Vernon, N.J. | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneeye
Member # 6181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneeye   Author's Homepage   Email oneeye   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"no archery involved" WOW, I find that statement to be so unbelievable! I guess it proves that some of us are own worse enemies.

This program gets the kids, many of whom would not get introduced to it otherwise, started on the basics of archery. They do not use sights, releases and the bows do not have a "wall" or "let-off". I do not know what could be bad about that.

The local elementary team has shot good enough to make it to the Nationals 2 years in a row. Next year my daughter will be old enough to take part in the program and I wil be proud to have her participating in it.

Posts: 67 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ninnescah Hog
Member # 22280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ninnescah Hog   Email Ninnescah Hog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our club here in Kansas strongly supports the program. Recently, they held a state tournament in Hays, which was won by our local middle school. (Clearwater) Coach Moore said it is amazing to watch the kids really get in to shooting. According to him, most of these kids would not be involved in school activities if it weren't for archery. Personally, I strongly endorse the program
Posts: 37 | From: Kansas | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crotch horn
Contributor 2016
Member # 12922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crotch horn   Email crotch horn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a great program. ANYTHING that promotes hunting as fun or in a good light to kids and their parents is a VERY good thing. We all need to support programs that get our youth thinking outdoors. I think we can forget that many kids get no exposure to our lifestyle whatsoever. Just because we teach our families the lifestyle doesn't mean "Matt & Mary" have ever learned anything about it. If this gets them inti it great, but like stated, it may keep them from being antis as well. I to started with wheels and at age 40 finally took them off. Love archery more than ever.
Posts: 1290 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lt-m-grow
Contributor 2015
Member # 3873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lt-m-grow   Email lt-m-grow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know the details of the program but I suspect it is better than what is done for archery in our school district as I suspect that beyond the equipment -- there is also some curriculum.

In our high school gym class for one of the they "events" they get to shoot arrows from old recurves. My son, who knows how to shoot, says it is a mess. The bows are junk, no form is taught, and kids just fling arrows with no feedback for several days. I offered to lend the class some of my bows and to come and help with the session, but was turned down. So there you have it, the type of bow doesn't make it better. :-(

So yeah, I am all for NASP.

Posts: 1183 | From: Mount Horeb, WI | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)