2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » just thought i'd show you my custom bowfishing spool.

Author Topic: just thought i'd show you my custom bowfishing spool.
ozy clint
Contributor 2012
Member # 15776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ozy clint   Email ozy clint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was taking photos of it for an article i've written about bowfishing sharks.

just thought i'd show it off.

i found a bolt that screwed into the stabiliser bushing and i brazed it to the male part of a clip on air fitting. the female part is on the spool. the spool is just a simple handline, $5 from the tackle shop. it's clamped between 2 plates. i also just glued a piece of rubber with a slit in it to hold the line from coming off the spool before shooting.

the air fitting idea allows for quick detach of the spool from the bow if needed. handy for travelling and for when you get a bigger fish.

-
 -

--------------------
The mountains song
is not heard by all
But the lure is strong
who hear it's call.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Posts: 2318 | From: in the hills south of Stanthorpe, Qld, Australia | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Carlsen
Contributor 2017
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Carlsen   Email Bill Carlsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ingenuity at its best. Very clever. You need to move to the States and buy a house right next door to me.

--------------------
The best things in life....aren't things!

Posts: 5201 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roconman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roconman   Author's Homepage   Email Roconman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thinking, I am going to rig mine out like that.
Posts: 121 | From: SE Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frank bullitt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frank bullitt   Email frank bullitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simple is good! Nice job, Ozzy! [thumbsup]

I did the same type of change to my tape on Bear reel. Does make for a quick change! Still using on my Grizzly recurve, going on 30 years. Bought it in highschool from a family owned hardware. No moving parts, to break in the field, or stream.

New Hampshire have sharks and Water Buffalo? [Big Grin]

Posts: 2298 | From: mighty wabash river,in. | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaun
SPONSOR
Member # 2320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaun   Email Shaun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice set up. Looks like you are set to attach a float to the other end of the line if you stick a real big one. Like the quick connect air fitting!

--------------------
www.taurusbows.com

Posts: 5097 | From: Iowa City,IA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozy clint
Contributor 2012
Member # 15776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ozy clint   Email ozy clint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shaun- this is my big shark spool. the back end of the line gets tied to the line on my game rod. i have another spool for normal bowfishing with the line tied to the spool as normal.

--------------------
The mountains song
is not heard by all
But the lure is strong
who hear it's call.

Posts: 2318 | From: in the hills south of Stanthorpe, Qld, Australia | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mudd
2017 Contributor
Member # 184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mudd   Author's Homepage   Email Mudd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the way you think Clint. It's shows that you know how to have fun but play it safe at the same time.

Way to go Mate!

God bless,Mudd

--------------------
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Posts: 12010 | From: Ashland,Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tradtusker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tradtusker   Email tradtusker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] [clapper] Impressive thinking there Clint, a great idea

thanks for sharing

--------------------
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Posts: 4140 | From: African in Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kill shot
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kill shot   Author's Homepage   Email kill shot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is how we won the war.
Posts: 1051 | From: kent city,mi | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
excelpoint
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for excelpoint   Author's Homepage   Email excelpoint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work Clint. I goto get into this Bow fishing. We are just a bit limited with what we can do down in Vic. with the way the laws are.

--------------------
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Posts: 401 | From: Melbourne Australia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frank bullitt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frank bullitt   Email frank bullitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Clint, what is Normal Bowfishing for ya? Any pics? Inquiring minds want to know, and see. [bigsmyl]

I have this "feeling" your going to post a picture of a Shark, taken with one of your Fine knapped points, backed with a barbed section of Buff leg bone!

Is there any Crocks in your area?

Posts: 2298 | From: mighty wabash river,in. | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larry Surtees
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 14970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larry Surtees   Email Larry Surtees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2064 | From: Pensacola, Florida | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozy clint
Contributor 2012
Member # 15776

frank- normal bowfishing is just fish and rays.
sea mullet
 -
a little milkfish
 -
some diamond scale mullet. before i made the spool i was using a zebco reel. it worked fine but i kept forgetting to push the button!
 -

for any one who is interested in my shark fishing. search pow wow for 'bowhunting + gamefishing' and 'i went out and got hammered on the weekend'
i would post links but i don't know how.

--------------------
The mountains song
is not heard by all
But the lure is strong
who hear it's call.

frank bullitt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17387

Great pics Clint! Those little ones are tough targets [thumbsup]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)