2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Differences between R/D and D shape

Author Topic: Differences between R/D and D shape
J. Holden
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J. Holden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure this question has been asked. I couldn't find an answer though using the search option so I'll ask it again. Putting the un-strung shape aside, is there any difference between a R/D longbow vs. a D shape longbow? I've been going back and forth looking at different models and was wondering. I've looked at Northern Mist (Baraga), Apex Predator(Cumberland) and a Howard Hill. Is there a difference in hand shock? The feel of the weight when pulled? Thanks guys. And I'm not trying to start any arguements please. Just lookin' for personal opinions. Thanks.

-Jeremy

--------------------
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Posts: 1524 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hill Hunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hill Hunter   Author's Homepage   Email Hill Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not shot a lot of longbows, I had a
D long bow several years ago that had a lot of handshock, I now have a Martin D that has some handshock, I shot and ordered a Big Jim Thunderchild that I could not feel the arrow leave (R/D) I don't know if this is because of
D vs. R/D or not.

--------------------
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Posts: 411 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Contributor 2017
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A straight or "D" shaped bow will have more felt handshock than an R/D shaped bow will, in general. I really haven't noticed much difference in the feel of the bow on the draw though. R/D bows will also normally be faster than "D" shaped bows. If you are not sensitive to shock, properly tune the bow and shoot a fairly heavy arrow, most "D" bows are very pleasant to shoot and I think they are the coolest looking bows. In reality, all bows have shock or vibration, some bow designs just dampen it better than others.

--------------------
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities. Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. " Dean Torges

Posts: 1770 | From: Hugo, Oklahoma | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbCrow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbCrow   Email cbCrow       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shoot a D bow but have ordered a R/D bow after 3-4 months of research and talking with a bunch of bowyers. From what I have gathered from their talks is the R/D bow bridges the gap between recurves and D bows, thare usually smoother so you can shoot a shorter bow(in my case I'm going from 66" to 62" and felt no pinch or harshness) you can get a different style grip( main reason for me due to injury)and a better amount of stored energy. These were main reasons given to me. [archer]
Posts: 989 | From: Kingsport,Tn | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Holden
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J. Holden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As always, thanks for the info gentlemen.

-Jeremy

--------------------

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Posts: 1524 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oliverstacy
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 13039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oliverstacy   Email Oliverstacy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out Apex Predator's website...Marty has a great set of bows he offers. "D", slight r/d and full R/D.

I just got my 66" Cumberland "D" yesterday and I love it!

Josh

--------------------
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Posts: 2201 | From: Livonia, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cahaba
Contributor 2014
Member # 12221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cahaba   Author's Homepage   Email cahaba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a D shaped bow and a R/D from the same bowyer. The R/D shot smoother but I could shoot the D bow better. To each his own. I like the thump of a true D shaped bow. It feels alive. I just recieved a Northern Mist Classic and it is a fine shooting D bow.

--------------------
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Posts: 1553 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Holden
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16830

And here lies the dilema. I've been lookin' at the Cumberland by Apex Predator as well as a used Northern Mist Baraga. What to do...

-Jeremy

--------------------

kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both? LOL

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 11641 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Str8Shooter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Str8Shooter   Email Str8Shooter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are comparing two bows that both maintain a "D" shape when strung but one has straight limbs and the other is an R/D you can make a couple generalizations. Normally, the R/D bows may be a little quicker, may be pulled farther without stacking for the same length bow, may have less handshock (subjective), might be a little noisier.

If you are comparing the "D" shaped bow vs. strung bow that shows the R/D shape (hybrid/longcurve/etc) the differences will be more pronounced.

In terms of shot feel much of that will be subjective. A well balanced "D" bow with limbs that are timed correctly will pull smooth, shoot quiet, and have minimal thump. A well made hybrid will be the same. The ones you've listed are all well made bows so pick the one that you think will fit your shooting/hunting style best.

Posts: 457 | From: Watertown, WI | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)