2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » killdeer------A relative of yours perhaps?

Author Topic: killdeer------A relative of yours perhaps?
gregg dudley
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gregg dudley   Author's Homepage   Email gregg dudley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My agriculture teacher called me yesterday and asked if I had my camera with me. He said that there was a bird guarding her eggs on the back of campus that was putting on quite a show. I grabbed the camera and hustled out there. What did I find? A long lost relative of one of our tradgang members...A killdeer!

-

-

-

--------------------
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Posts: 5798 | From: weirsdale, fl | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim now in Kentucky
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim now in Kentucky   Author's Homepage   Email Jim now in Kentucky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No closer relative I guess, Killy never shows such hostility!

--------------------
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Posts: 656 | From: Dexter, Kentucky | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Over&Under
2017 Contributor
Member # 8273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Over&Under   Email Over&Under   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see a new avatar pic in Kathy's future [thumbsup]

--------------------
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss" [Smile]

Posts: 6906 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John3
Contributor 2017
Member # 571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John3   Email John3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could that be a distant relative from "possum squat"...? LOL

John III

--------------------
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor". Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri

Posts: 2938 | From: Berger, Missouri | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Izzy
Contributor 2016
Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy   Email Izzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theyre cool, wait til the little one hatch.They develop their colors at a young age and look just like adults only in miniature.
Posts: 8503 | From: latham, new york | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Killdeer
Contributor 2016
Member # 437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Killdeer   Author's Homepage   Email Killdeer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great pics!
That is my Great-Aunt Thelma...

I had a strange experience a decade ago. I was a courier for a beltway bandit, and was near the next 'mailstop' where I would swap out the interoffice mail. I saw a killdeer standing on three legs in the gutter of the road.

You bet your fur I slowed down. When it just stayed there, I figured something was wrong, and stopped the car. As I got out and approached, she hopped up on the curb, and left two balls of gray fluff in the gutter. The two babies could not climb the curb to get to the safety of the field that they probably hatched in. Mom fussed at me and showed me what an easy meal she would be.

I picked up the two precious, vibrating birds and walked them to the center of the field, where I set them gently to earth, thanking them for the privilege. I still feel the ache in my heart as I tell this. Thanks for the pics. They are marvelous birds, making a home out of nothing and defending it against impossible enemies, sacrificing themselves to allow their family a chance to escape. A Miwa'tani of the bird world.

Killdeer

--------------------
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Posts: 15436 | From: Fibber McGee's Closet, VA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bretto
Contributor 2016
Member # 11278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bretto   Email bretto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great pics. Gregg. I have some that nest behind My house also. I like when the little ones get all feathered out and run with the adults. They look like exact miniatures.
Posts: 2319 | From: Linwood, Ks | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rastaman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rastaman   Email rastaman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice pictures Gregg. [thumbsup]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

[archer]

Randy Keene

Posts: 7080 | From: georgia | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gregg dudley
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gregg dudley   Author's Homepage   Email gregg dudley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the comments folks!

Kathy, I will tell your Aunt Thelma you said hi. Everyone on campus will be glad to know the name of our resident Killdeer! [Smile]

--------------------
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Posts: 5798 | From: weirsdale, fl | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whip
Contributor 2015
Member # 113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whip   Email Whip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Killdeer:
A Miwa'tani of the bird world.

Killdeer

Your posts require the use of google more than anything else I read. Always something interesting to learn! [Cool]

--------------------
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Posts: 10391 | From: Lake Mills, WI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arrowslinger
Contributor 2012
Member # 3671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arrowslinger   Author's Homepage   Email Arrowslinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a kid I had one that nested in the front yard ever year. She did not like it when I mowed the grass. I was always amazed at how the eggs blend in with the surroundings. Gregg you are doing good with that new camera.

--------------------
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Posts: 865 | From: Pembroke, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DannyBows
Contributor 2017
Member # 11762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DannyBows   Email DannyBows   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty birds. Nice pics!

--------------------
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves". ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Posts: 4136 | From: Sayreville, New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Butch Speer
Contributor 2014
Member # 1358

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Butch Speer   Email Butch Speer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favorite birds.

--------------------
God Bless

Butch

Dave Beeler 56" 52@27
Leon Stewart LS 60"50@27
Howatt High-Speed 58" 50@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Posts: 1138 | From: St. Clair, Mo. | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)