2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Robin Hood (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Robin Hood
Autumnarcher
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Autumnarcher   Author's Homepage   Email Autumnarcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took the boys to see the new movie with Russell Crowe as Robin Hood. Excellent movie, and some great longbow shooting scenes.

Any time I see that hail of arrows raining down on the intended targets, I am amazed at how deadly that tactic was. Truly the longbow was the original assault weapon. Plus i always love watching those crossbow shooters gettin their butts kicked.

This was a good flick, I highly recommend it.

--------------------
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Posts: 1373 | From: North Branch, Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mudd
2017 Contributor
Member # 184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mudd   Author's Homepage   Email Mudd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was planning on going to see it this evening but got caught up in shooting my bow and missed out on the times when I could see it and be back home by the time my wife got home from rocking little babies.

Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Thanks for the review.

God bless,Mudd

--------------------
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Posts: 12011 | From: Ashland,Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Throop
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Throop   Email Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great flick. Thought it would be more about the bow though.

--------------------
Adam Throop
Mohawk Longbow
64" 49@28

Posts: 130 | From: Martinsville, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gregg dudley
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gregg dudley   Author's Homepage   Email gregg dudley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got back from watching it with Reed. We both enjoyed it. There was not as mjch archery as I thought there would be but it was still a good movie.

--------------------
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Posts: 5800 | From: weirsdale, fl | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sliver Sticks
Member # 10459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sliver Sticks   Author's Homepage   Email Sliver Sticks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw an interview with Crow about the making of the movie...he shoots a 38lb. self bow (insert grunt here)and seemed quite proud of that. "Spent a few days shooting it before filming started"
So...he's got that going for him.

Posts: 33 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buckster
Contributor 2015
Member # 8884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buckster   Author's Homepage   Email buckster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went with the wifey tonight. We both really enjoyed it. No trashy sex scenes and usual Hollywood junk, just a very pleasant and tastefully done movie.

Crowe was great as always. Those lonbow scenes as the French made their amphibious landing were excellent. The action scenes were also not overdone, making it credible, except for just a few shots that I won't eloborate more on; for the benefit of those who haven't seen it yet.

--------------------
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Posts: 2784 | From: Central AR | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richie Nell
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richie Nell   Email Richie Nell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh thanks alot Buckmeister.....no need to see it now. Why waist time and money if I already know what's gonna happen. [smileystooges]

--------------------
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Posts: 1051 | From: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris O
Contributor 2008
Member # 5915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris O   Email Chris O   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sliver Sticks:
he shoots a 38lb.

I find this hilarious, considering people of those times could have possibly been shooting 4x that weight.
Posts: 595 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grey Taylor
Contributor 2007
Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grey Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Grey Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really interesting.
A couple guys on another site I visit saw it and were thouroughly disappointed by the show.

I doubt I'll go see it. But then, I don't like Crowe and don't often go to the movies anyway.

Guy

--------------------
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Posts: 2052 | From: Lucerne Valley, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethan Grotheer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ethan Grotheer   Email Ethan Grotheer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was gonna go tonight, but got held at work too late. Looking foward to seeing it.
Russel Crow was a close friend of the Crocodile Hunter, so I would imagine he is nay on hunting, but you never know..

Posts: 155 | From: Stockton, MO | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traxx
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traxx   Email Traxx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didnt see this thread,before i posted another,concerning why this is a taboo topic on another site.Is there something i should know about Crow?The Thread is,"Does Anybody Know?" if someone cares to share their insight.
Oh,And i noticed that too Guy.

--------------------
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Posts: 1410 | From: Reno Nevada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zach Mikita
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zach Mikita   Email Zach Mikita   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris O youre exactly right I chuckled myself im anxious to see it now boys! [bigsmyl]
Posts: 201 | From: Iowa | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traxx
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traxx   Email Traxx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably,because they are actors first and recent archers,with a bit of Training.Maybe their coach saw fit to start em light,to develope good form,so they would look like they knew what they were doing and could actually hit somethin with it.LOLI doubt they wanted to wait the time it took to build up to the weight that those early archers used.Im probly the worst at nitpickin a film to death at inacuracies,but Cmon guys,lets be practical.LOLIm not usually up in arms about any movie,especially when it deals with history of which im familiar.Im usually very dissapointed but,i saw an interview on Tv with Crow,promoteing the movie,and was impressed with his genuine enthusiasm toward the history and craftmanship,pertaining to early archery.I mean the Guy was Genuinely exicited about it and forced the cameraman to do a closeup of the bow as he described the difference between the sapwood and heartwood and the why of it all.I can tell the Guy may be hooked.

--------------------
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Posts: 1410 | From: Reno Nevada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joekeith
Contributor 2016
Member # 7856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joekeith   Email joekeith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me and the wife just saw it today. It was a real good movie, just wish it would have been more about them shooting instead of just the war aspect of it. But it did do it's job to tell the story up till, and why he became an outlaw.
I think the the next one will be more what I would like to see. Stuff like the guys just shootin' and havin' fun, you know "Merry Men" and all that kinda stuff. Some tournaments, and some good archery scenes instead of the war tactics of just letting waves of arrows darken the skies. It was good though, but I think the next will be more enjoyable. Hope so anyway.

Posts: 2190 | From: Dittmer, Mo. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BowHuntingFool
Contributor 2008
Member # 14899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BowHuntingFool   Email BowHuntingFool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The boy and I just got home, awesome movie! Probably go see it again here soon! I'm hoping for a part 2 of some sort!!

--------------------
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Ojibwa Bowhunters

Posts: 3578 | From: S.E.Wisconsin/N.Michigan | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)