2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Is it just about the kill. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Is it just about the kill.
amicus
Contributor 2016
Member # 12213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amicus   Email amicus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If its just about the kill, then your really missing out.

Gilbert

--------------------
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Posts: 1107 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackhat
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackhat   Email Blackhat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that's what I'm talking about! [Big Grin] The Journey is the thing. The cold, the heat, the no seeums, the rain, the trek through the woods. The knee deep mud. The heart in the throat moment,the release and the long moments before you know if you have made a good hit or a miss. Campfire's with friends. Seeing your kids and grankids take their first animal, either deer or squirrel, or what have you. These are the moments you live for, this is why you are a Traditional Hunter.

As was said at the beginning by Terry Green. The chase is the thing. [archer] [coffee]

--------------------
"When Bows shoot faster than 300 fps it ain't called Bowhunting no more!"

Posts: 139 | From: Williamson, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TRAD101
Contributor 2017
Member # 20527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRAD101   Email TRAD101   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am with Terry,"The Chase". If every story I ever heard or told about hunting was only about the kill they would be pretty short stories,In fact I would personally only have about half the stories to tell.
Posts: 196 | From: blue mounds, wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpcjon2
Contributor 2012
Member # 21374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpcjon2   Email lpcjon2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if you read this thread it will give some good views on what we think about Traditional Archery
http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=087039#000000

--------------------
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Posts: 8143 | From: NJ to GA back to NJ =Lost ;) | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowwild
Contributor 2017
Member # 2347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowwild   Author's Homepage   Email Bowwild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been at it for more than 4 decades. I love to see mature antlered white-tail deer and I love even more to take them home with me --doesn't happen much. However, I've always gotten a huge kick out of the scouting and figuring things out (or not). I'm fortunate to be invited to hunt with some folks in big deer locations -- I rarely accept the invites though because I enjoy doing my own scouting. A scouting job that results in a high percentage shot is very satisfying to me.

--------------------
If the mind wanders, so too will the arrow.

Member of various archery organizations.

Posts: 5849 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
centaur
Contributor 2015
Member # 14053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for centaur   Email centaur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's supposed to be hard. That's why lots of us do it. Taking an animal is icing on the cake. I have as much fun stump shooting when not hunting as I do hunting (almost!). To me, it's not just about the killing, but as Terry put it so well, it's the Chase.

--------------------
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Posts: 4026 | From: WY - East face of the Bighorns | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buckeye_hunter
Contributor 2012
Member # 9866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buckeye_hunter   Email buckeye_hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the whole thing, but bottom line is you can't eat a tag. So.... I guess killing is a bit necessary if you are hunting for meat. My kids and wife want me to bring home food and I need to greatly improve in that area.
Posts: 3196 | From: Galion, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miklvines
Member # 17731

Icon 1 posted      Profile for miklvines   Email miklvines       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been laughed at 3 times when I brought my Hill bow out. Once when I went pheasant hunting with my brother-in-laws, and I got the first kill of the day and they shut up. 2nd time when we went out for an early goose season here in Michigan, and 5 birds (2 on the fly and 3 once landed) later I had 6 other guys wondering how the hell I just did that (I am gratefull they let me shoot first), and the last time was out on Lake St. Clair, and at 20 yards I took the tail feathers off of a flying teal. All of this is in the last 5 years, now no one laughs, they all just want to watch. To me, it is just about being out there and having fun. There are days too that I have used every arrow in my quiver on deer coming thu, that after shooting the last one, I climbed down and went home. I took it as a sign to go to bed. LOL
Posts: 25 | From: Lake Orion, MI | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hydrasport205
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hydrasport205   Email hydrasport205   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yukon Chuck said it best!!!! great post Charles
Posts: 306 | From: kentucky | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glenbo
Contributor 2017
Member # 21544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glenbo   Email glenbo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just happy when it all comes together.Buck or doe.I have never shot a wallhanger and I would be thrilled to but I consider myself fortunate just to walk out the door and bowhunt.I do however respect those who consistently shoot large mature animals.Those who do their homework.glen
Posts: 1259 | From: newburgh new york | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
virginiashadow
Member # 23618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for virginiashadow   Email virginiashadow       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hunting is a part of me, down to my core. I have slowly moved from rifles to shotguns to muzzleloaders to compound bows...now the recurve for the first time this year. It is NOT about the kill for me, although the reason I hunt is to kill. The hard work I put in and my passion for bowhunting is what drives me into the woods. I absolutely love it! I have always been a pretty much loner hunter, enjoying the woods by my lonesome. But that is slowly changing as I age....I must give back to the woods by helping others in their endeavors. If I don't do as well in the woods each fall, yet I help others fulfill their goals, then I am a happy man.
Posts: 60 | From: Virginia | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deaddoc4444
Contributor 2014
Member # 23913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deaddoc4444   Email deaddoc4444   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on guys Your not a real man ( or woman ) or real hunter if you dont get a 140 + rack each and everytime you go out . Just look at all the shows and adds.
If it was just for the sport , or chase , or stalk , or meat then WHY DO WE HAVE ANTLER RESTRICTIONS ?????????. OH sorry don't forget that does are ONLY in the woods to be culled so we can get to the correct doe to buck ratio. So they are just there to be killed off.
Im so sick of todays mental attitude toward SHOOTING game NOT HUNTING .

--------------------
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST 45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
"Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Posts: 376 | From: S.E.Pennsylvania | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gregg dudley
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gregg dudley   Author's Homepage   Email gregg dudley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok Forge:
It is about the voyage, not the destination.

One of my favorite philosophies.

Sometimes the journey leads to a kill. Some times it does not, but I am always out there eager to see what is over the next ridge or around the next corner of life.

--------------------
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Posts: 5800 | From: weirsdale, fl | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amar911
Contributor 2013
Member # 15808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amar911   Email amar911   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mankind has hunted throughout our existence in order to survive. Just like procreation and eating, we have been genetically programmed to enjoy the act because it gives us the increased motivation to engage in it more often and more vigorously to help us survive. Of course, the killing and eating of the meat of our prey is what originally drove the development of our biological sense of enjoyment, but even without the need to hunt, we have retained the pleasure of the activity. I intend to fulfill those ancient pleasures for as long as I am able, and I feel no shame in my predatory behavior.

Allan

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 3231 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stick_string
Contributor 2012
Member # 10994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stick_string   Email stick_string   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get a little frustrated when I read folks on here say that, "a mature hunter is one that does not care about JUST killing"... [Frown]

Really?

Then why take a bow into the woods? Take a camera... [saywhat]

I want to fill every tag every year. If that makes me immature...I appologize.

I believe that a "mature hunter" is a person that learns, grows, and appreciates the experience; WHILE learning why he/she did not harvest then make every effort to improve his/her skills so that the next outting is a success and harvest is possible!! [archer]

I hunt alot with a compound because I like to harvest and frankly becuase it CALMS ME DOWN (I get deer fever big time!!) [banghead]

BUT, I still hunt this recurves/longbows because I enjoy the challenge and effort it takes to get that close. However I do not feel like I am effecient enough to hunt deer yet, and I DO NOT want to wound deer...so I wont till I get better and trust I will not miss as 6 yards for the third time (Yes...you read that right).

Anyway, YES...I am all about the KILL!! That is the pinnicle...but I dont turn away if it dosent happen.

[archer2]

--------------------
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Sarrels Longbow and Brack Drifter

Posts: 733 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)