2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » never worry about getting lost on your next hunt (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: never worry about getting lost on your next hunt
18thcentman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 18thcentman   Email 18thcentman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be going on a traditional bow hunt in the northern tier of Pennsylvania this fall, so I purchased a Bushnell bactrack gps to assist me in the unfamiliar terrain.It is very simple to use. I like the idea of being able to hunt in an area and not worring about how I am getting back to my truck.Also, if I shoot a deer far from where I am parked, I can mark its spot and drive to it. How many of you folks use one of these devices?

--------------------
Living the Dream

Posts: 146 | From: Montgomery,Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adeeden
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for adeeden   Email adeeden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use one and enjoy it, with that being said I also never put 100% faith in it either! Always carry a map and compasss!

--------------------
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Posts: 1929 | From: Georgetown, IL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m midd
Contributor 2016
Member # 20067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m midd   Email m midd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GPS are great but i also agree..... Map and compass..

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Posts: 1413 | From: jonesboro Arkansas | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
Contributor 2017
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A GPS is a great tool....that can let you down, bad batteries, improper input on your part, etc. I use one but always have a map and compass as back up. Study a map of where you are going to hunt and do some pre-season scouting, not only for game but to get the lay of the land. It also builds your confidence hunting a new area.

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 15476 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisM
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisM   Email ChrisM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother in law a tech head talked me into using one of those things on a hog hunt in the swamp. He was marking the way points. After dark we couldn't get out 'cause ox bows were in the way and I wasn't swimin with the snakes. Finnally I had to get us out the old fashioned way. So I don't have much confidence in them.

--------------------
Gods greatest command: Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Posts: 1127 | From: Broaddus Texas | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
Contributor 2017
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always use a GPS when I'm hunting, but as has been said, always use good common sense so if the thing breaks, you'll be able to find your way back anyway.

One time I was hunting elk in Colorado, and stopped to rest for a while and eat a snack. Sometime later, I realized I didn't have my shooting glove anymore, and thought I'd probably left it on a log where I took my break. I had no idea of how to find my way back to that spot; I didn't think I would ever have to come back to that spot, so I didn't try to remember anything about it. But I did remember that I had turned on my GPS to get a fix on where I was; how many miles from camp, etc. Whenever you turn on a GPS, it leaves "breadcrumbs" at that spot, even if you don't mark the spot as a waypoint. By zooming in and panning around, I was able to locate the breadcrumbs, and create a waypoint there. Then I was able to walk back and find my shooting glove!

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 3989 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arky714
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arky714   Email arky714   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the best thing since sliced bread,,
Posts: 431 | From: Bonnerdale,Arkansas | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
18thcentman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 18thcentman   Email 18thcentman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the imput. I will be carrying a compass as well as a map.

--------------------
Living the Dream

Posts: 146 | From: Montgomery,Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the elf
Contributor 2011
Member # 9710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the elf   Email the elf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also use the Bushnell--much simpler to use than other kinds. 2 buttons 3 way points what could be simpler?
Posts: 497 | From: Eastern Ontario Canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osage61
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22871

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osage61   Email Osage61   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silva Ranger compass. The only way I travel.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Posts: 347 | From: Sarnia, CANADA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longarrow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for longarrow   Email longarrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are nice, I always carry one and 2 compasses as backup...can't beat a good topo map and KNOWING how to use it and a compass. Also carry a SPOT when I'm out alone....worth the money, many times over!!

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Posts: 745 | From: Copperas Cove, Texas | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roconman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roconman   Author's Homepage   Email Roconman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love mine, It's made for low tech dummies like me who have trouble remembering how to use a GPS. If you want to get from point A to point B and back again this will get you there.Super simple to use. I used it a bunch the last 2 seasons and never had a problem, I think they are around 60 bucks,well worth the money.
Posts: 121 | From: SE Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Maher
Contributor 2017
Member # 5543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Maher   Email Ben Maher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a map and compass fella ... Just never got round to buying one . Unless I'm going extreme remote locale hunting I'm not sure they are for me .

Ben

--------------------
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Posts: 2667 | From: australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bartholomew
Contributor 2014
Member # 4064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Bartholomew   Author's Homepage   Email David Bartholomew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOTE TO SELF: (1) Make sure your batteries are good BEFORE heading out on the hike/hunt [no matter what type of GPS you're using], and (2) before leaving your vehicle... verify that you have your compass IN YOUR POCKET. Personal experience has taught me these on the same day & same hike.

--------------------
WTCS(SW/DV) USN Retired

Posts: 1570 | From: Middlesex County, Virginia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ragnarok Forge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ragnarok Forge   Email Ragnarok Forge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being an a former soldier I always use a map and compass, make a plan for my hunt and follow it. I always know where I am. Having said that a GPS is one tool I always carry. They are awesome for marking your truck, kill points, sighting points for animals, etc... you can download all that data into your computer and use it to plan future hunts. Plus they are awesome for getting back to the truck after dark or back to your kill after dark. I never leave to hunt without one.

--------------------
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone. It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Posts: 3246 | From: Vancouver, WA. | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)