2014 ST JUDE AUCTION1.TRADGANG.COM
Click HERE to return to Trad Gang!

Please select and use a Message Icon that best describes your auction item ...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Auction1 Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters Forum » McDave form video (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: McDave form video
McDave
Contributor 2017
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After taking a couple of excellent classes, and about a year for them to settle in, I think I've plateaued, and would welcome any comments about how I might continue to improve.

-

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 3983 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lookin GOOD!!!!!!!

--------------------
"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & **** ********** (coming soon)

Posts: 30277 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walt Francis
Contributor 2017
Member # 1901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walt Francis   Email Walt Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Dave, I think it has come together for you.

--------------------
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 5401 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtrema312
Contributor 2014
Member # 18854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xtrema312   Email xtrema312   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like you will cut your finger with a broad head. [Big Grin]

--------------------
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Posts: 4040 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
Contributor 2017
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed my bow-hand finger sticking out too, Tod. It's interesting the things you do that you don't notice until you're videoed.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 3983 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eric-thor
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eric-thor   Email eric-thor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i personally wouldnt 'cant" the bow and i like to hold my finger up durring the draw than put it down and hold the bow lightly as i release.the real ? is how accurate and consistant are you ?

--------------------
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Posts: 777 | From: LAKE CHARLES LOUISIANA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eric-thor
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eric-thor   Email eric-thor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry other than those two things your looking good better than most. [bigsmyl] [archer2]

--------------------
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Posts: 777 | From: LAKE CHARLES LOUISIANA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
Contributor 2017
Member # 10587

Thanks for your comments, Eric. I've tried shooting with the bow canted and with the bow straight, and seem to do best if I hold it at a natural cant. Even though most of the better shooters hold it upright, I guess I can take some consolation that HH held it canted. I like your idea about holding my finger up during the draw and then putting it down lightly before shooting - I'll try that.

I'm more "accurate and consistent" than most of the fish in the small pond I swim in, but think I still have a ways to go to reach my potential.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Cherry Tree
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cherry Tree   Email Cherry Tree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks good to me! just dont ever let it slip away!
Posts: 334 | From: Iowa | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NBK
2017 Contributor
Member # 3640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NBK   Email NBK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McDave, It looks like great form/alignment to me. I've heard you say that you took a lesson from Rick Welch, but notice that you don't hold at anchor for super long. Any reason? Also, is the arrow shaft directly under your right eye, i.e. sighting down the shaft? Just curious because I shoot similar to you (attempt to at least!).
Thanks.

--------------------
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Posts: 1631 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gregg S
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gregg S   Email Gregg S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where do you anchor?
Posts: 275 | From: Hazleton, Pa. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
Contributor 2017
Member # 10587

Mike, I'm sure Rick would comment on my hold, which I believe is about 1/2 second, and tell me to hold for the full 2 seconds he recommends. I noticed in watching this video that my hold time has decreased over time. Maybe this is something I should work on. On the other hand, I find it difficult to keep increasing back tension and get a dynamic release with a 2 second hold. Difficult, but not impossible, so as I said, maybe I should do some more work on this.

I do try to keep the arrow shaft under my right eye, which I believe helps me to shoot where I'm looking.

Gregg, I have a double anchor, which is my thumb knuckle brushing against my earlobe, and my nose touching the back of the cock feather.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

buckster
Contributor 2015
Member # 8884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buckster   Author's Homepage   Email buckster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you attended Rick's school, remember HOLD, HOLD, HOLD. If I rush my shots, my forms seems to go to pot as well.

Also, I noticed that you shot quite a few arrows, try for 2-3 well placed arrows per sequence and hold that bow arm as steady as you can until the arrow reaches the target. When I fail to do this, my groups go right every time since I'm a lefty. I couldn't see you shots, so understnad that I'm just guessing here.

It doesn't appear that you are torquing the bow and you seem to have a nice consistent release and good form. Well done!

--------------------
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Posts: 2784 | From: Central AR | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
Contributor 2017
Member # 10587

I don't generally shoot as many shots in a row as you see in the video. My friend who shot the sequence wanted six shots in a row so I could judge my consistency from shot to shot. In retrospect, perhaps this wasn't the best idea, as shooting six shots in a row may have changed other things, such as my hold time. But I do appreciate him suggesting the video, as it has been a while since I've seen myself shoot. When I saw the video, my first thought didn't have anything to do with archery; it was, "How the heck did I get that old?"

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

NBK
2017 Contributor
Member # 3640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NBK   Email NBK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? Usually I'm wondering where my hair is retreating to!

--------------------
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Posts: 1631 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Auction1 Trad Gang.com (tm) | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - Trad Gang.com (tm)